I am looking to upgrade my dozer, the only manufacture I am familar with is Deere. Can you guys tell me some the other manufactures models that are equvilent to a Deere 450 in weight and horsepower. Some comments on strong and weak points also. Thankes Terry
Machinery Trader Here surf this site all day and nite . http://www.machinerytrader.com/list...id=1026&GUID=D2D454E0316342C786DFD608B4C5A04E
D5K from Cat would be a pretty good idea. Great machines, if you need a smaller one D4K and a bigger option would be D6K.
New Dozer I would look at a Komatsu. I bought one a while back to see if I liked them before buying a later model machine. I'm impressed. To answer your question about sizes, here goes. 450 John Deere = D3 Cat = 650 Case 550 John Deere = D4 Cat = 750 Case 650 John Deere = D5 Cat = 850 Case = D39 Komatsu I hope that helps and I'm not wrong.
I would choose Caterpillar if you are a DIY'er. The aftermarket parts availability on the CAT models are most readily available. Most of the aftermarket parts manufacturers (at least the Italians) have got this game pretty much figured out. Early model Case and Deere machines have some limited parts availability. You may wish to look at other makes and models but, rest assured, you'll be bent over on replacement parts needs.
or try www.surplusonthe.net its where i have just begun to work
Dressta, if you are looking for power. It still has a power shift transmission.
The Case 550 H, the Komatsu D31 and the Cat D3 are all equivalent to the John Deere 450 in weight and horsepower. I have run all three with the least amount of experience on the Cat and have had good luck with all three. Probably the one that I think pushed the best was a 1987 Komatsu D31. I know for some reason that they don't seem to be as well liked as other brands, but we had real good luck with the one I ran. I think that any one of those machines, in good shape and which has been taken care of, would do a good job.