Hi Guys, had to go to a family funeral today and found my Grandads old CAT tie clip that he gave me over 20 years ago to wear. I know nothing about it, so has anyone seen one before, what dozer is it? and how old is it? etc Any information welcomed
Vintage ? From the picture of, the cable dozer, I'd say it was from the 50's or 60's.
Johnny, I would say it is in the late 50s or early 60s.I have a tie clasp and pair of cuff links like that. A salesman at the Cat Dealer gave them to me when I was 7 years old.They are still in perfect shape. I also have over 200 watchfobs and key chains I have been collecting since I was a kid.When I was in grade school I would write letters to all the dealers and manufactures all over United States, the salesman would send me watchfobs,belt buckles, and key chains.A salesman at Peterbilt even sent me a record called a truck that Peter bilt.The watchfobs I recieved back then were good qaulity Leavens Mfg. and the Metal Arts Company.I still have a lot of the original letters I recieved with my watchfobs.
Nice old tieclip,never see one of those.I also have collected watchfobs,buckles,etc. and have some rare ones also. Here are just a few,the tieclip is a Case 450 dozer.We use to always hit the salemen up for watchfobs when they showed up on our jobs,plus would trade with other guys that had extra ones of the same kind. Wish they was still doing some of that stuff.Now you have to pretty much buy them. Take care of your clip.It is a keeper:drinkup:usa
Its the only piece of decent cat memorabilia that I have, we recently bought a cat mini digger and we got a couple of cheap pretty useless jackets, when you drive the machine you forget about the jacket though, the machine is far better than any jacket. My grandad may have been given it when he bought his machinery all A to B series dozers and tracked loaders and that would be 35 years ago or more. Its something I'll treasure for life.
Difficult to tell Johnny, but I'd guess a Cat D7E on that clip. It's looks close to a D7E watch fob that I have.
Johnny, I looked at mine today. My tie clasp and cuff links of a D8 both are cable dozers and are not turboed. I will try to post pix tomorrow. I also have a large collection of belt buckles in addition to the watchfobs and key chains as stated in my earlier post.
I guess D8,since it looks like it has a turbo and it is on the right side ,by the picture. I the turbo(exhaust) on the D7E is on left side right back next to you where you can enjoy the sound echo in your ears! It's been a while since i had mine so :beatsme:usa
Here is a picture of D7E :usa
I'm amazed you can tell that from such a tiny piece of brass, are these little pieces of history valuable (not that I would ever sell) or not really. Nice D7, my brother would love that, he's in the process of rebuilding an old D2, just given it a full over haul, but can't stop it from spitting oil out of the exhaust. Just done all the pistons liners, crank, etc
hook it onto something large and make it work its little heart out :drinkup graham
Slobber ? Hello Johnny English, Cat D2 Over haul ? The rings are not seating , when you have slobber . You have to work it under full load for awhile , 1/2 to a full day, for the rings to seat. Or use the Bon Ami trick, but be real careful.
Hey guys - slightly OT, but check out the vintage CAT logo patch I put over a rip in my new Carhardt....pretty cool, huh?
D2 slobber, Thanks guys I'll let him know, he's being worrying over this' its took him 2 years to get it done list of faults was endless Grind the crank liners rings pre combustion chambers renew the head, only to find it was cracked buy 2nd head then renew it Injectors Find new shells for crank to 40 or 50 thou of lathe headgasket seals radiator gaskets full sand and resray etc etc etc all this started with it spitting oil out the exhaust in the first place