Does anybody have any experience with these over the tire rubber tracks. AS far as how well they hold up to, will they get approximately 1,000 to 1,500 like a track on a CTL. Do they get as good of traction as a OTT steel track. Currently I have a set of Loegring steel tracks on my Bobcat 773G and can not justify the cost of a CTL. I like the performance I get from the steel tracks, but hate when you get a little 2-4 hr job that you can't run the steel tracks and have to take off or mess with putting plywood sheets down to run on. I see some solideal trackmaster brand for $1600 and then the other day I saw some brand for like $5,000 whats the difference. Havent' ever seen anybody in my area with these and was wondering what you guys know about them. Thanks
I have sold some of the solideal ott rubber tracks. The tracks are holding up fine, the only complaint I have heard is that they eat up the sidewall of the tires. We see a lot of Loegering and Grouser tracks up here, as they are built here in ND. They work well, but if you get the rubber padded version, on any machine over about 6000lbs they wear out very quickly. We have also sold some Loegering VTS bolt on rubber track systems. At this point I have heard mixed reviews on them. Some people have no troubles, others have endless problems with them. I think a lot of skidsteer manufacturers sent out memos saying that putting the VTS system on a skidsteer would void the warranty. I know when they were testing them they broke a lot of the test machines. The tracks I am curious to hear about are the rubber over steel McClaren tracks. I have not sold a set yet. They are kind of spendy, but look like they may be a good option.
I wouldn't have thought that the solideal rubber tracks would have problems with side walls, there set up looks the same as a loegring or grouser. Do they give pretty good traction in muddy conditions? Looks like if you get a much of mud or rock inside they wouldn't clean out and cause the tires to spin inside the rubber track. I've seen the VTS system and seems a little pricey, looks to me that you could go ahead a just get a CTL for the price and it does seem like it would be hard on the drive system and chains inside. I've heard just what your saying about the bolt on rubber pads on the steel tracks that they don't last very long. For the price the solideal rubber tracks don't seem bad, but I don't know what kind of performance you can get out of them
Personally, I don't think cost of the rubber over the tire tracks justify the gain. The VTS system looks good but it only drives off the rear axle. Add the price of the VTS to a new standard skid steer and you have the price of a CTL. Instead of plywood, a stack of old mud flaps works well. They're allot easier to handle and transport too.
Man, I thought I was the only one with that problem... Never fails, no matter which way I have the machine configured, it's never set up right for the next job that comes along...:Banghead Joe
It really depends on conditions. I like the rubber band tracks for use on sand, grass and dry or moist muck. But get in deep watery muck, soupy marl or wet clay and it seeps in between the tracks and tires, and starts slipping. Rubber band tracks get destroyed on sharp rocks and wear quickly on asphalt. I have installed over tire metal tracks but have yet to operate a machine with them on. I still like the idea of steel tracks with rubber blocks.
:beatsme but I'm not really sure what you mean by that....mostly I see track systems with a drive motor/sprocket at one end and an idler at the other... am I missing something??
The VTS system is an aftermarket system that replaces the tires on a standard skid steer with a rubber track system . It is complete with a front idler, bottom idlers and a drive sprocket. The drive sprocket attaches to the rear axles only, so all the torque, or power supplied to the rubber track is supplied by only one of the two skid steer axles. The front axle is just used as an attachment point. On a true rubber track unit, or CTL, the drive sprocket is attached to a planetary gear drive, much like a dozer, loader or excavator drive. It is hydraulically driven and is designed to function as a single drive point. A standard skid steer is designed to drive with both axles, not just one. This is the reason they have rear chain failures with the VTS system.
I'm well familiar with the VTS system. The drive on a skid is exactly the same (Hydrostatic) as you describe, just that the output drive is sent via chains to the front and rear stubs per side, not direct to a drive sprocket. You tend to make it sound a little like a skid has a cross axles. I get what you are saying about the rear axle (chain) only driving and it interesting to hear of chain breakage...I haven't heard that. Bob Horrell runs the VTS so maybe he could comment.
I'm seriously looking at the Grouser OT sTeel tracks with rubber pads for predominatly sand work. Anybody have OTT on a Cat 246B or 248B????
No breakage yet, although I am sure it is possible. I really think it depends a lot on how you use them. I don't use it like a skidsteer - more like a small dozer. They are working well with minimal wear and absolutely no problems. You know when working with a skid steer there are a lot of times when just the rear wheels are driving because the weight is taken off the front ones by the downpressure on the front lip of the bucket. The difference with the VTS is that it has much more traction than just the rear tires and therefore more stress on the rear chains. If I should break a rear chain, I will just replace it with the new 120 chain vs. the 100 size chain it now has. Overall, I think the VTS is an excellent system, you just have to adjust accordingly and not operate it like a skidsteer. There are little things you can change that make a big difference. For instance when I need to do a lot of turning, I will look for places to turn where the ground has a small rise in it. When positioning the center of the tracks over a slightly elevated area (bump etc.) there is minimal surface contact and the machine will spin effortlessly like it was on ice. Spreading a thin layer of dirt/sand on asphalt or concrete produces the same result with no track tread wear. I also used to do this when I had tires. The extra 10 min to clean up the dirt was well worth it. I do this when having to load my dump truck multiple times in a street etc.
That seems to be the most important feedback I get from the guys running CTL/MTL or the VTS. I wonder if I you need to change your driving technique for OTT. How many hours you got on them now Bob?
I'm wondering how these tracks can have all the quality they claim for that price: http://cgi.ebay.com/TRACKS-SKIDSTEE...ryZ50908QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem They don't seem to have the bolt on pads or ship down under but its interesting.
I don't see how either. They're not near the track the Grouser is. I run the Grouser OTT's and I did have to change my habits a little but not much. I tend to do 3 point turns more often than just counter rotating, sure saves on the tires.
I didn't figure the OTT rubber track would be very good in wet muddy conditions, plus I've been looking a little bit more at them online and the makes are talking about running special tires, for the special sidewalls, plus somewhere I thought I read something about unhooking the front chains, so forget all that. I agree Alambama about the VTS, the cost of the tracks plus the skid steer, might as well go with a CTL. Plus the wear and tear on the chains. I guess I'll keep running my Loegring tracks for the time being, until I finally step up to CTL. Alambama, 12"-16" rubber conveyor belt, cut about 10' long work good to, I've also used old carpet on projects lasting for a while, keeps from staining concrete driveway, plus big pieces you can run where ever.
Roger that using conveyor belt, anything light.
I am looking at a set of grousers for my LS170 do they really help enough in muddy conditions?
Like night and day! You won't believe the difference. You've heard the story of the little engine that could?
LCCMO if your referring to a set of steel tracks (Loegring or Grouser) absolutely you will notice a big difference, in pushing power and ability to get around in wet conditions.
definitly talking about the steel version. About how much should I look to pay for a new set?
The Loegering VTS system is only capable of being used for part time usage, keep them on year round and kiss the tracks good bye, even Loegering will tell you this, also putting that type of traction "aid" on a rubber tired loader will do more damage on the drive train, hydraulic motors will burn out faster and drive chains will wear out as well. When I first talked to my CAT rep, he asked me if I had thought about the VTS, but I gave him my ideas and he quickly agreed, even his clients are actually getting rid of them in favour of the MTL's the next step up or down, depending on your POV. The biggest problem the VTS has is the rather small idler wheel on the rear, that's too sharp for a track to turn in that many revolutions for such a long period of time.
LLCCMO, I would recommend buying a good brand of tracks such as (Loegring or Grousers). I'm not positive, its been a while since I've looked at pricing on new ones, but I believe $1,200- 1,600. I would look around for a used set, the Loegrings we have we bought used for $800 they still had paint on them and knock on wood haven't had in problem with them and that was at least 10 years ago, and two skidsteer later. Like BobcatRon said they are a pain to put on, but after a couple go rounds you' ll become faster at them.