Hey Guys, I realize that this has probably been done to death but (and yes I have run a search on this forum before posting this question) . I have an LS 170 that I am using for demolition and prickly pear control. As you might expect, I have been having a horrible time with flats. I have a set of McClaren OTT tracks (with rubber pads) that I bought a few years ago and ran on my old LX 565. They will fit on my newer LS 170. My question is it okay to run these over foam filled tires? In their brochure McClaren says not to do this. I just called their help desk and they said I could run the tracks over their flat proof tires. When I told her that I could not afford a set of their tires ($4500/set), she said that it would be ok to run their tracks over the foam filled tires. I found a new foam product called Superflex from Arnco that (Arnco says) has similar deflection properties as an air filled tire. If anybody is interested, here is their web address: http://www.arnconet.com/flatproofing.htm Does anyone have any experience running OTT tracks over foam filled tires? If so have you had any problems? Other than possibly tearing the axles out of the machine are there any downsides to doing this? I am also considering the Loegering VTS system. I have found used sets as cheap as $7400 and new ones just short of $10,000. So if any of you have any experience using these, I would be interested in your insights. Yes, I know the VST system is way more expensive than the McClaren flat proof tires but as I said, I am just considering this as an alternative. I broached the subject of a new C175 with pilot controls, cab, heat and AC to SWMBO last night, she said “NO” Thanks, Tim
It sounds like your reasearch says OK. Especially with the foam you link to that is similar to air pres. Just be aware of the large stuff (falling in to the track) that will not fall through the openings in the tracks .
Thanks Ironjunkie, it's one thing to read the information that manufacturers put out about their products and something else to get reviews and advice from real users. Tim
TMC_31, I run Solid Boss tires with Grouser tracks with no problems. You will love the day you get away from pneumatic tires. I have dust on my plugging kit
Bump, Any other thoughts?
I have Loegering OTTs on my foam filled tires on a New Holland LS 160. So far I have had no problems. Not that many hours yet but in the mud the difference is dramatic.
Thanks Jim, Tim