Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Our new excavator

coopers ยท 2007-11-23 03:34

This is our new Hitatch Zaxis 160 LC. CWS hyd. quick couplers with digging bucket, clean up bucket, and a hyd. prog. linked thumb. Good machine. Now we just need to update our 120 and 200. Blake WA

Replies26
  1. #1JS580SL2007-11-23 16:54

    Nice machine, dont think theres a nicer excavator than hitachi.

  2. #2ctkiteboarding2007-11-23 17:36

    nice shovel:usa now clean the tracks

  3. #3Wulf2007-11-23 18:06

    Other Hitachi Products Hitachi make lots of great stuff... how about this tiny 8 Gb miniature hard drive... absolutely fascinating isn't it...

  4. #4landrvrnut222007-11-23 18:30

    Maybe I am blind, but I dont see the hard drive.

  5. #5biggixxerjim2007-11-23 19:09

    oh...... um.... we were supposed to look at a hard drive??

  6. #6skata2007-11-23 20:04

    has hitachi updated their excavators much lately? what kind of changes?

  7. #7CascadeScaper2007-11-24 01:38

    My buddy has a ZX120, I think it's an '03 or something like that. I like running the machine, seems to get the job done pretty well. I have way more hours on his Yanmar Vio55-5, but the few hours I've spent in the 120 I didn't find anything to gripe about, Hitachi builds a nice machine.

  8. #8JS580SL2007-11-24 01:43

    Now that's some than worth looking at, Im still having trouble findin that hard drive in the photo. To much distraction!

  9. #9Motat2007-11-24 03:12

    Is it true that Hitachi are swinging away from electronics ????? Regards

  10. #10coopers2007-11-24 16:39

    I'll pass on the tracks! Blake WA

  11. #11coopers2007-11-24 16:42

    Yeah it's not bad. They're identical to Deere's. I hadn't used Hitatchi until now and they're the same (for obvious reasons). The ONLY thing I don't like about Hitatchi is everything is in stupid Japanese. I hate that. But oh well, what can you do. Hopefully we'll replace our 120 that is quite old and needs to be scraped IMHO. :bash Blake WA

  12. #12John C.2007-11-25 00:38

    I thought your machine looked like a gray market unit. Now when you say all decals are in Japanese that pretty well confirms it. Nothing bad in that and most Deere or Hitachi dealers will support it. Good Luck!

  13. #13coopers2007-11-25 04:46

    What exactly does gray market refer to? I thought I knew but this sentence confuses me a little. How does our machine look like a gray market unit? Isn't gray market where someone buys a new machine and sells it for much less in another country but still makes a profit (but low enough to impact a local dealers). I have always seen Hitatchi with Japanese writing in them. Does anyone else that runs or has ran Hitatchi have the same thing? Blake WA

  14. #14Turbo218352007-11-25 08:56

    Im going to need to demo that. Think the dealer will deliver?

  15. #15Steve Frazier2007-11-25 10:43

    A gray market machine is one that has been sold here in the U.S. that wasn't intended for sale here. They may or may not meet U.S. specifications for safety and/or emissions and are often hard to get parts for. They are usually less in cost than a U.S. spec machine.

  16. #16bobcat ron2007-11-25 11:08

    But a grey market Hitachi will never give you problems, Hitachi is legendary around here.

  17. #17coopers2007-11-25 17:34

    So gray market can be an actual Deere or Case or Komatsu machine but the unit being sold was never intended to be sold in the U.S? Or are gray market machines copy cats of Deere and other companies. Blake WA

  18. #18bobcat ron2007-11-25 17:47

    The way I understood it is, that grey market machines are built over seas and shipped over here, no warranty and the decals are in what ever language the machine is from, short undercarriages, pin on buckets, short sticks and in some cases, hour meters are turned back to around 100 hrs to make them look like "they were just demo models, that's all". Any rumors regarding parts being hard to find is B.S., only CAT is the one to avoid depending on the size of machine (Mitsubishi builds certain models for CAT) Hitatchi parts are readily available so long as the appropriate serial numbers are provided.

  19. #19coopers2007-11-25 21:49

    Oh okay, that's what I figured gray market referred to. Well I'll have to look in the engine but I meant the inside (control titles etc.) are in jap. ?? I don't know, it's annoying, that's why I'd go Deere, among other things. But they work all the same. Blake WA

  20. #20Steve Frazier2007-11-25 22:31

    I beg to differ, I owned a JD410 that was intended for the European market. I had no trouble getting the filters but the first time I needed something outside that it became a nightmare. The parts that came in weren't right, then the serial number on my machine wasn't listed in the dealer's parts books. It took some phone calls to JD corporate to determine I had a gray machine. The parts cost twice as much as domestic stuff and took a minimum of 2 weeks to get here every time I needed something. Fortunately it was just a property machine, I wasn't trying to make a living with it. I had no idea it was a gray machine, but it opened my eyes to the gray market.

  21. #21coopers2007-11-25 23:26

    I'd be furious even it was a property machine! That blows! You still have it Steve? Blake WA

  22. #22bobcat ron2007-11-26 10:54

    I ran a '96 Hitachi 100 not too long ago, the serial number gave me a good idea what year is was, 09081996-100 - clever howthey made up the serial number.

  23. #23John C.2007-11-27 21:23

    Coopers, The gray machines were primarily Hitachi, Komatsu and Cats. Link-Belt and Case are made by Sumitomo and built in Japan. Any Sumitomo gray market machine that was painted in either Case of Link-Belt colors was promptly set upon by legal eagles for trademark fraud and taken to court. If your machine has Japanese writing on the controls then it is a Gray Market machine. If it was sold by the dealer as a domestic model then you have a beef with them. It is very possible they took it in on trade and then sold it to your company. They should have disclosed this fact as part of the selling process. Steve, I had not heard of Deeres being sourced for Europe being sold here. It would seem to me the cost of bringing something back from the old country would be cost prohibitive. Now I have something else to consider when I look at Deeres. Thanks for the info!

  24. #24coopers2007-11-27 21:30

    John, Thanks! I'll look into it. It was sold by Pape Machinery. Blake WA

  25. #25CascadeScaper2007-11-27 22:00

    Oh wow, I wasn't even aware that Pape would sell grays. I'd DEFINATELY look into whether they disclosed it as being a gray before your company bought it.

  26. #26bobcat ron2007-11-27 22:10

    Here's something else to ponder; why is it that the excavators in Europe all have the 2 piece boom (Variable Angle Boom) on all machines in the 10-25 ton range, and we can't get them here, I'd love to get my hands on a Komatsu 225 with the VA boom, the ultimate close quarters machine.