Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Out put shaft on a 590 sm power shift trans

Stanley the dog · 2020-12-10 19:31

I need to change the seal on the out put shaft on a 590 sm case backhoe power shift transmission the question i have is does using a impact to remove the rear yoke nut do any harm to the transmission i wasn't sure if all that rattling from the impact would do any internal harm. I know this is probably a stupid question but I've always figured a stupid question is better than a stupid mistake

Replies13
  1. #1Tinkerer2020-12-11 09:13

    There are no stupid questions on HEF ! I doubt if an impact wrench would do any harm. But, why not just use a breaker bar on the socket ? That bolt isn't big enough to give much of a problem to remove.

  2. #2Stanley the dog2020-12-11 14:20

    Thank You Tinker for the reply but I'm referring to the nut on the end of the output shaft that holds the yoke on the splined shaft

  3. #3stinky642020-12-11 18:49

    Stash, not a sin to remove nut with an impact, but when you install yoke and new nut pay attention to torque and endplay specs...

  4. #4mks2020-12-11 19:50

    A universal yoke holding tool may help.

  5. #5Tinkerer2020-12-11 19:58

    I did know you were referring to the yoke. I'm fairly certain it has a bolt. The yoke can be held with a big pipe wrench.

  6. #6Stanley the dog2020-12-12 13:33

    Thank you all for the very helpful information

  7. #7alrman2020-12-12 16:21

    It is a large nut that retains the yoke. I can't recall the size - but I do know a standard 3/4"dr socket that fits the nut, won't fit in the yoke without turning down the OD of the socket. Impact gun is the tool of choice for removal & refitting

  8. #8Stanley the dog2020-12-12 16:34

    Thank You alrman for your input i was under that machine again to day i checked the nut and yes i did see it was going to take a narrow wall socket the seal has been ordered and should be here next week so ill be finding out about getting that yoke off after i get a socket to fit

  9. #9stinky642020-12-12 18:11

    If you don't have the correct size "thinner" wall socket,like alrman said purchase cheap garbage freight socket that you can grind down to accomplish the task...

  10. #10Stanley the dog2020-12-15 19:52

    Thank you all for the useful information

  11. #11alrman2020-12-15 22:29

    That socket is 60mm

  12. #12JL Sargent2020-12-16 11:49

    I've taken many a tool to a belt sander or welder. I would buy a cheap socket to thin though. NOT one out of an expensive set.

  13. #13Stanley the dog2020-12-24 15:45

    Just a heads up to you all a wheel spinal nut socket works great for removing the yoke nut there not that expensive and if you only need it once and a while it should last for a little while And thank you all for the helpful information