Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

outdoor clothing

randy79 ยท 2012-11-12 21:20

Hello I was wondering if I could get some advice. This is my first winter in a service truck. Are insulated coveralls better to work in or a two peace suit. If I could get any advice on this or other stuff I should have that would be great. Thanks.

Replies15
  1. #1Lee-online2012-11-12 22:15

    I think its personal preference. Half the guy i know wear coveralls, half wear bibs and a jacket. I like a 2 piece so i can easily take off the jacket.

  2. #2FSERVICE2012-11-12 22:48

    i like the bibbs/ jacket also. if u get wet you can change coats & still be warm. also im short its hard to find coveralls that are made for short guys i will add a little of my own advice keep extra pair of socks & shoes in the truck with you. and a thermos of warm liquid for those cold wet/snowy days!

  3. #3Randy882012-11-13 06:45

    I've used both systems before, acutally I have both along with extras of each in the truck at all times, along with extra socks, and my lp fired space heater and a tarp........except yesterday, I forgot to put it back in and one of my excavator starters was frozen up due to the freezing rain we had all day sunday, its on the list for today though to take with me. Welcome to the forum and also the upcoming winter in the service truck.

  4. #4mitch5042012-11-13 09:28

    I wore coveralls for years, til I got a pair of bibs. I like them much better since here it might be 18 at daylight, 50 at 3 pm, and 35 by time I get home. I always wear a good hooded sweatshirt, with either one. Enjoy the winter, Mitch

  5. #5Colorado Digger2012-11-13 10:11

    I wear normal carhart overalls. Being in a tractor so much you get really hot if overdressed. They are not waterproof or anything like that, I just have 2 pairs. If it is really crappy i have the carhart gortex pants and winter gortex jacket. I like the overalls because of the pockets. I can fit my 2 way radio, cell phone and leatherman all in the top pouches. Boots, I wear the whites pac boots. Once again they are bulky and i find my feet get to hot in the tractor all day. If I know i am sitting in a hoe all day i just wear overalls and my normal whites boots. I use ski type long underwear for my first layer, then go with an insulated carhart sweatshirt. Regards, CD

  6. #6randy792012-11-13 20:36

    Thanks for the advice guys. Glad to be on here. Its a great place to learn from.

  7. #751kw2012-11-14 09:18

    I go with the bibs and jacket also. It is nice to be able to take jacket off when inside or warmer outside. Extra gloves are a must! I also have 2 pairs of boots. One lightweight insulated for those days of in and out of cabs. One heavy insulated for all day outside.

  8. #8crewchief8882012-11-17 13:21

    i wear "cheap" arctic weight insulated bibs. company provides us with med weight jackets for winter. i prefer the jackets with elastic cuffs and waist. my "normal" winter wear is long john bottoms, or spandex runners tights wool socks short sleeve T shirt long sleeve t shirt or long john top regular uniform work pants and LS shirt insulated bibs jacket hooded sweatshirt for really cold/windy days watch cap baclava insulated and waterproof hunting boots insulated and waterproof gloves latex gloves under "mechanics type", regular brown jersey gloves, or whatever i can find at the time. extra warm, dry hat, extra socks, and at least 2 more pairs of warm dry gloves on the dash of the truck. multiple layers of clothing will trap air around your body, and you can always remove layers as needed. when moving from job to job, sometimes i'll spend an hour or more driving. i strip off the jacket and bibs before getting back in the truck, then pull off the sweatshirt once i'm sitting down. nothing worse than being wet & cold, at 7 am, and havig the rest of the day to work. i've been out working in 10-15 F below air temps, with wind chills at -60F at those temps, i take a lot of breaks to get back in the truck to thaw my hands :drinkup

  9. #9randy792012-11-17 13:58

    Thanks guys this does help a lot somethings I didn't think of. Good to be warm and dry

  10. #10Pixie2012-11-18 07:15

    One thing I'd recommend is fleece long underwear. It comes in different weights and keeps you warmer because moisture isn't against your skin.

  11. #11LilJoe2012-11-28 18:50

    That is one thing I would highly recommend is very good quality long under ware. Yes they seem expensive but after owning a pair of them you will never look back. They are incredible how they keep you warm and DRY. Lots of good quality socks also. Joe

  12. #123rdgendslmech2012-11-28 21:24

    I was totally against these at first until one day I had no other choice....UnderArmor Yes the mens leotards for warmth. My girlfriend got me the pants and long sleeve shirt that was good to 0 degrees F. Tried them on and I looked like a tootoo short of being a balerina! One day at the shop a machine broke down right on the pier with wind blowing, snow on the ground and 22 degrees F without the wind chill. I beat around the bush and put them on and man what a difference those made compared to my regular sweat pants and long sleeve undershirt.

  13. #13Acivil2012-11-28 21:34

    Another thing I might add... if I'm doing a really nasty chore, I have a pair of regular Dickies light weight coveralls way oversize to put on over my much more expensive carharts to keep them from getting covered in whatever glorious mess I may be working on. Also, I find often times it is easier to layer upper body, and top off with a hoodie or flannel over the bibs, than run insulated coveralls or an insulated jacket for mobility purposes depending on the task.

  14. #14grandpa2012-11-28 21:46

    Yup,,, agree with the hoodie.... wind cutter.

  15. #15OCR2012-11-28 22:51

    Yeah, and you should wear a balaclava... backwards. That would cut the wind... both ways. :lmao http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Balaclava_(clothing) OCR