Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Outrageously Dependable:

1693TA · 2022-01-24 11:30

Need to install a new starting battery into my 1845C. Mine has failed after 13 years, 11 months, and 12 days since install. I've ran Interstate Batteries for many years starting in the late 1980's in my trucks and tractors. This duration of service is nothing out of the ordinary for me. Going to replace today with the same group 31 type.

Replies16
  1. #1hookedondiesel2022-01-24 13:56

    Glad to hear, sound's like a Case 1845.

  2. #2ThreeCW2022-01-24 14:13

    I sold my 2002 New Holland LS160 in late 2020 ... when it was 18 to 19 years old ... and it still had the original New Holland branded battery in it. In preparing the skid steer for sale, I pulled the battery out, check the fully charged voltage and did a number of pulse / repair charges on it with my NOCO 7.6 smart charger and everything checked out well. That skid steer was lightly used with just under 1000 hours on it when I sold it ... but I had regularly put a maintenance charger on it and the battery stayed strong. I also have a 2007 Kubota tractor ... still the same original factory battery ... the battery is also well cared for and is still going strong at 14 to 15 years old ... again low hours on this tractor but the battery is well maintained. My Ford F350 diesel batteries only lasted 7 years before failing ... well cared for but they were Costco batteries. On our other vehicles, I typically get about 7 years out of a battery too ... perhaps something about vehicle batteries not being as well built compared to heavy equipment batteries. I also run 8 x 6 volts Trojan batteries in my 48 volt Cushman electric utility cart ... I look after those batteries carefully too ... they are darn expensive !! Most batteries don't die a natural death ... they are murdered ... good maintenance (cleaning, water addition and charging) can add years to the life of a battery.

  3. #3Bumpsteer2022-01-25 00:30

    New Holland uses some damn good batteries. My 2120 went 18 years...died when some moron left the key on in the winter. Ed

  4. #4Willie B2022-01-25 08:10

    We do generator sales & service. Generac, (in my opinion) doesn't provide space for the size battery these automatic standby machines want. They are on constant standby charge. Many are neglected. While some owners want an annual service, others claim they do their own. After a few years I get a call "Something's wrong with my $hitty generator, it won't start." Oil filter has three or four year old install date we wrote on it. Battery water hasn't been checked, it's low. All that said, I believe the Interstate batteries are not lasting as long as NAPA. I've always been happy with Interstate, but I believe they aren't typically lasting as long as they should. In the case of these Generac generators, a weak battery causes a failed starter. I'm recommending new battery every four years in them. Small battery, starting propane engine in extreme cold = short battery life. Yes we use heaters on battery, oil filter, & new they offer crankcase vent heaters, not sure why.

  5. #51693TA2022-01-25 08:24

    We standardized on remote battery racks separate from the generator frames. Float chargers/maintainers with equalize charge built in, but manual select. Always used Deka branded industrial batteries in this application and they served well. All but locomotive styles were replaced at four year intervals and good batteries were always taken home with me and defects sent in for cores. In later years all but locomotive styles were sealed so the monthly maintenance routines were reduced significantly with sticking, topping off, etc. FAA had very strict maintenance routines on standby sets, battery banks, etc. on routines as this stuff has to work given it's placement in the aviation arena. Like anything with the government it got stupid in monitoring and accounting recording(s).

  6. #6Old Doug2022-01-25 09:19

    Batteries are so much better than years ago . I had 2 interstates that were over 9 years old still going good but they got destroyed in wrecks with Deer. The place i worked at sold batteries alot of people wanted a new battery after there battery was only 4 years old. I would trade a junk battery for the good cores i always had a good battery to use on a project. I also learned to slow charge a run down battery for 8 hours or more.

  7. #7Willie B2022-01-25 20:05

    Dozer got two new Interstate placed in service exactly 6 years ago. First four years there were numerous fails. Eventually I went through end to end, found a "new" connection to ground polished, treated with corrosion inhibitor, but the nut not tightened. Perhaps that damaged batteries. I recharged both last week, neither measured as good. I did put them back in, it started very quick. I might make it until next fall.

  8. #8Steve Frazier2022-01-25 22:47

    I've got a New Holland PowerStar 4.75 at work I just had to put a battery in, original New Holland battery lasted just under 6 years. I've been using Cat batteries and have seen 10 years service from them and put one in it. Interstate used to be very popular in my area but they don't seem to be as common as they used to be. I had an issue with them, a battery on a salt spreader I purchased new came with one and it failed within a year. I tried to get it replaced but they said their batteries didn't carry any warranty in machinery. It was the last time I ever considered purchasing their product 25 years ago. Glad your seeing better service from them!

  9. #91693TA2022-01-26 05:41

    Interstate is popular around here and to be quite honest, it's the dealer that makes it that way. I had problems myself when starting out of the gate. I strongly preferred the "Exide" battery brand but their quality seemed to go in the tank in the late 1980's when they started selling their products at "K-Mart". I switched to Interstate then and didn't have very good service; much as you experienced. Along come a new owner who expanded the sales and service arm locally, and he stood behind the product. For some reason about that time their quality went up in their industrial line(s), and with the product stood behind from the vendor, I seen no reason to change. It's been pretty good since. If DEKA branded batteries had a presence here, I probably would change again to them for a trial. Generator sets don't experience the rough and tumble atmosphere a piece of machinery does, (as instance) so cannot say they would hold up as well as the Interstate brands have for me. From Interstate the only batteries I've run are the Group 31P-MHD series which are top post, and the Group 4D series for the dozer and backhoe. https://www.interstatebatteries.com/products/31p-mhd?productline=heavy-duty https://www.interstatebatteries.com/products/4d-xhd?productline=agriculture Looks from their advertised prices I get a pretty good discount also.

  10. #10Thirty5D2022-01-26 12:41

    In cold weather (in this case 0°F and colder) and under light loads the vapor from the crankcase ventilation system in small engines can condense and freeze. The condensed “slush” can restrict the air intake passage to an extent that the engine will run poorly or not at all. Here’s a photo of a Honda GX200 carburetor with a frozen buildup from the crankcase ventilation system. The tube that runs at a 45 degree angle in the upper left of the photo is the crankcase ventilation tube that is normally connected to the air filter enclosure. The air filter enclosure is removed for this photo so that the carburetor air passage is visible. The crankcase ventilation heater for this engine is shown in the second photo. It’s made up of and an electric heating element and an elbow that splices into the crankcase ventilation tube. It’s supposed to keep the crankcase vapors warm enough so that they won’t condense before they enter the air intake system. Rube Goldberg holds the patent for this system.

  11. #11Willie B2022-01-26 20:49

    Generac's version is a flat tape heating element you wrap like electrical tape, then insulation tape you also wrap over it. I've only done one. Truth is, generators are rarely needed below zero & they seem to do well once started. Battery & oil filter heaters seem to suffice.

  12. #12Steve Frazier2022-01-26 21:23

    1693TA mentioned Deka, that's another brand I've had great experiences with. Trouble is the two places in my area that carried the line have closed up shop.

  13. #13Bumpsteer2022-01-26 21:30

    Local NAPA sold Dekka....l think they got in trouble from corporate for not selling NAPA brand. Luckily a new Auto Value opened up that carries them. I've used Dekkas for 25 years and not about to change. Ed

  14. #14Tyler d4c2022-01-26 21:57

    On Sunday I put new cat battery's in the 416c the old ones where dated 12 of 09 they never received any love. Considering I was in 7th grade when they where put in ill call it a win

  15. #15Old Doug2022-01-28 09:55

    I am brand loyal to alot of brands but there is a battery factory not far from me and i know guys that work there. Like alot of stuff several different bats are made under the same roof . I had a uncle that worked in a canning factory he gave me a case of chili there wasnt to cans alike but it all came out of the same cooker.

  16. #16hookedondiesel2022-01-28 14:41

    Good point, Doug, I remember back in the days when I was a manager for Shell Gas, they would sell their gas and fuel to any retailer that needed. When their tank's were full at the refinery, they needed to get rid of it and make a smaller profit because new gas was coming in. It's pretty well the same on everything we buy. BUT, gotta love those AAA Angus rib steaks from Walmart...man...they are good...lol