Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Over the tire track vs. track skid steer

Mitch O ยท 2015-06-25 10:48

Going to buy a new unit. My old unit Cat 277B track was a very good unit, but considering getting a wheel unit and putting over the tire tracks on it. What are the pros and cons?

Replies7
  1. #1SLI780282015-06-25 11:02

    Mitch it really depends on the work your doing and terrain you work in. I do cedar clearing in the Texas Hill Country. The rocks in the area eat rubber and it is not economical to have a rubber tracked machine.

  2. #2Mitch O2015-06-25 11:12

    Thanks, mostly ranch work, moving dirt, cutting rabbit brush, digging post holes.

  3. #3Todd v.2015-06-26 10:43

    I just bought a new machine and went with tires. Less money up front and less money down the road. I have steel ott tracks for when I am pushing a lot of dirt but a heavier tired machine does pretty well without them. Though even with ott tracks a tired machine won't be a smooth as a ctl.

  4. #4Mitch O2015-06-26 11:08

    Thanks for you input.

  5. #5charles walton2015-06-26 12:11

    Track machines are nice to operate but I wouldn't buy one because of the expence up front and down the road.Tires and ott are less expensive and more versatile.

  6. #6JS3002015-06-26 15:26

    I recently put OTT tracks on and think for general ranch type work a wheeled machine with OTT's is the best of both worlds. I will admit a track machine would be nice but the cost of operating one is not worth it to me. I can take the tracks on or off in about 30 minutes. I really on need them when its wet out.

  7. #7ironjunkie2015-06-26 22:06

    I would second all of these replies Mitch.