I'm not happy with my overhead welding. Any tips would be humbly appreciated. Shielded flux core mig.
If I have to do overhead I use stick. Mike
As in dual shield wire ? I did some recently with lincoln 71m 1\16 wire . I cant recomend any settings in particular i believe its like vertical up. With dual shield turn up voltage and wire speed and plow it in there , i dont remember what i did exactly. Advice would be to get you some practice scrap metal and try cranking it up some if that dont work try turning stuff down a little till you find something that works satisfactory , i also recommend you tube welding tips and tricks and go thru some of his videos he has a few on dual shield
My only comment is wear lots of leather, it's going to rain fire.
and no matter what you prep for you'll always get one in the ear, any more I put some old ear plugs in for anything near overhead.
Ain't that the truth! Hadda piece of slag off'n a 6013 rod arc up through the air, once, made it past the helmet, and cap, and land dead center of my right lug hole, onliest thing that saved me from a serious burn, was the damned thing landed on the ear hairs, could hear and smell them burnin off, as the slag cooled... Mw smell mohican burnin, Me last mohican, MUST BE ME!
And if you happen to be in a crouch position welding vertical or overhead, never put your knee on the ground or floor, one of those sparkys will go right under that knee and light you up, instead place your knee on the steel toe of your boot on your opposite leg. In my experience, MIG vertical, weld downward, and move fast. Overhead, same, move quickly, if you hang around you'll simply heat things up and it will all fall out. I typically bevel joints, get a good hot fast moving root pass, then turn the heat and wire speed down just slightly to be able to control the 2nd and 3rd passes. Like any other weld process, practice.
Tip from a old guy years back. Think of it as if you are sprying water on a board over head, "to much its gonna drip off" not sure if that applys so much to flux core wire. If i gotta do a overhead that is lacking room I use stick.
Practice and practice, and on thick stuff, to get technique and use the same settings that you you use on the flat and you will be surprised how it turns.
I am exactly as noted CRAPPY at overhead, found that if I lace the weld not try to run headlong with it the weld will take pretty well. Move side to side hesitate just an instant at each side point to reverse across the weld. Just like lacing a shoe. And Oh Yeah will be wearing 90% of the slag and some of the weld.
Not enough info. What size and type of flux-core wire? Not all flux-core is designed for all position welding.
I was in the same situation it looked crappy and I went in YouTube and watched videos and it helped a lot. One thing I learned was my nozzle was to far out they said it needed to be even with tip or even behind.
I find that setting the voltage a little hotter than normal and hit the triger in short burst helps. Don't think that you are going to keep your finger on the trigger and lay a long steady bead. You have to think of it like multiple spot welding and let each "Spot" cool somewhat before you hit the next. Just take your time and practice on some scrap.
Not a great welder ,but i find it works better for me in that position to drag instead of push the torch . Since my hair got thin it really is a pain .