Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Puzzled

Buddy ยท 2018-02-01 23:38

I must be getting old or just out of touch , maybe both. I picked up two nice Sioux valve facing machines and a Sioux seat grinding set with loads of pilots and stones. I also picked up parts washer and a few other miscellaneous shop equipment. I already had all this, and I still use this stuff in my shop. Reason I cobbled this stuff was I was trying to help out a friend and thought sure as heck all the young, up and coming guy's I know they would jump at this stuff. Boy was I wrong geez lol... Every one I talked to said , they are not interested in none of it . Oh well, I will just add it to my tool horde . Any of you see this in younger people out their ?

Replies8
  1. #1pushbroom2018-02-02 00:14

    It seems like rebuilding heads is getting pushed aside by replacing. I can throw a cat reman head on (in stock) the same day with a year warranty or wait a couple to get the head rebuilt with 0 warranty. Faster turn around on the Cat reman and for most guys time is money. Everything is getting to be replacing vs rebuilding. Some things don't pay to rebuild anymore. We rebuild transmissions under warranty but replace them when it isnt. Eaton reman gives you 3 years warranty and its sitting on the shelf.

  2. #2mikebramel2018-02-02 00:47

    I've just got a Black and Decker. Wish I could find some smaller collets for it. Might have to "adapt"

  3. #3Junkyard2018-02-02 07:03

    I'd bet that most of those machines have been repurposed to do other stuff these days. Like pushbroom mentioned, reman warranty, instant gratification etc has lead most to exchange and move on to the next project. Not that long ago I rant into a similar deal, several machines like that and some other odds and ends quite cheap. Wasn't sure what I'd do with them so I passed. Now that I've purged a bunch of crap I'd actually have a spot for them now!

  4. #451cub2018-02-02 08:04

    Yeah, seems like everything is replace instead of rebuild anymore. I got to say, though. I'd have jumped all over them myself, even though it would mean more cussin' every time I had to move more stuff in the garage to get around in there

  5. #5Tinkerer2018-02-02 09:17

    It makes me wonder if they even teach students that are in automotive and diesel tech schools how to use the Sioux valve grinder. Or how to replace a valve seat . I was taught how in FFA shop classes when I was in high school.

  6. #6ship 6602018-02-02 10:39

    I can tell you Tinkerer that in my class we do teach these processes. We dont use stones anymore we use carbide cutters. Still use the valve grinder. As far as what Pushbroom stated, I have not had very good luck with CAT reman heads, They seem to be 2-3 days out and cost a little more tan me taking to a machine shop. Also the biggie to me is the last 2 heads I got from CAT where to say the least sub par. The local machine shop I use is is $1000 and a week. Thats what they always tell me no matter if its a 3406 or 3126 price seems to be the same, new valves, new springs. If the customer wants it faster he will have to settle for the lower quality CAT re-man.

  7. #7Old Doug2018-02-02 21:23

    I got a valve grinder last summer for 30.00. I was very lucky to get to work for a week OJT my last week of Votec at a machine shop.When i started a shop right out of high school i can remember alot of weeks rebuilding 2 engines a week but thats a thing of the past.

  8. #8kshansen2018-02-03 15:31

    Where I worked we had the Black and Decker valve grinding set up. Last time it was even plugged in was almost 3 years ago. That was when I got permission from my former boss to sneak in and do a quick touch-up on some valves for the old Yamaha I was building up an engine for. Before that it probably sat for 4-5 years unused after change in management decided the guys who had been rebuilding the engines for the shop(myself and Norm) for over 25 years were not qualified to do that kind of work. Half tempted to ask my last boss if he'd be willing to unload that pile of "junk" to make room in the now storeroom!, former engine shop!