Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

overheating Hitachi

dcar · 2023-08-22 11:20

I purchased a 1992 Hitachi EX120-2 and am having overheating problem after about an hour of working, I believe it is hydraulic related because I have replaced everything on the water side. I don't have any engine manuals but I seen on here that someone mentioned the hydraulics might be causing the engine to heat up. any help please. I am not a mechanic but can usually put something back I take apart. Thanks Dave

Replies10
  1. #1joe--h2023-08-22 12:07

    Search results for query: Hitachi EX120-2 dhtauto.com This site has manuals, how you pay for them IDK. SOme are free, some not. Joe H

  2. #2JDCrow2023-08-22 19:28

    I’m having similar issues, but while running my breaker. 1) I don’t think that the outfit that set my hammer up has the flow correctly 2) Breakers just dump fluid back to tank, so I might need larger return line. 3) Hammer itself has bad O-rings in valve body letting too much fluid through. Friction is heat. I have a copy of Manuals I can sent over if you DM me with your email

  3. #392U 34062023-08-22 19:46

    Are all the foam seals around and between the coolers all still in place? Worked with an old school Hitachi guy and I remember him telling me that the missing foam was a very common source of overheating. That and running with missing panels/open doors.

  4. #4JDCrow2023-08-22 20:04

    The doors open cause heat? I’ve seen more than a few 120/200 with holes drilled in the doors

  5. #592U 34062023-08-22 20:46

    Apparently it messes with the air flow through the coolers. I can't say for certain, been years since I've seen an EX Hitachi. Even the original Zaxis machines are hard to come by.

  6. #6LACHAU2023-08-23 01:23

    He is talking about "ENGINE HOOD" not the "DOOR". As for the door, it can make holes or even open while the machine is working.

  7. #7dcar2023-08-23 08:59

    [email protected]

  8. #8dcar2023-08-25 13:04

    I see a lot about hydraulic oil getting hot, what is a normal temp at the oil cooler using a temp gun?

  9. #9br14742023-08-26 20:21

    Your breaker manufacturer will have a max return pressure spec And supply spec. I know for certain the Indeco breaker needs less than 105 psi. Measuring at the breaker. An Okada breaker can run up to 250 psi. I have set up more than 50 breakers on excavators Just using a good flow meter. Without the attachment. Sometimes the return side needs to be one size bigger the the supply side to get the return pressure down.

  10. #1092U 34062023-08-26 20:35

    In my experience in most cases a #12 is adequate for a return line unless you're running a big excavator, something in the mid 20 ton range and up. Obviously a bigger line and 45° fittings vs 90° fittings will be better. What really gets the back pressure up is not switching the return so it flows straight back to tank. Running the breaker in 2 way flow mode often adds a couple hundred PSI when the return flow is forced back through the main control valve spool.