Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Oversize tires on a telehandler?

Speedpup ยท 2009-05-10 17:15

What would happen if I put 14:00 x 24 on a machine (Lull 844) that came with 13:00 x 24? Say everything clears how much will I feel in the greairing? Affect on steering cylinders? I see many machines that offer larger tires as a option. I may be replacing some calcium eaten rims on some machines and some teed tires. Thanks for any insight! 13:00 is 50.8 diameter & 144 rolling circumference 8.5% difference 14:00 is 53.7 diameter & 156 rolling circumference 5.5% difference weight is 161 & 189 lb. Don't think it could be as bad weight wise than swinging a foamed 13:00?

Replies5
  1. #1special tool2009-05-10 17:50

    Don't know if I'd worry about that too much as long as the turning stops are not interfered with. You will lose a little climbing torque too... But then you might gain side stability.

  2. #2I AM IRONMAN2009-05-10 17:56

    I don't think you will notice a difference in speed, but with the wider tires you might notice more stability. I think the max. load is increased on the 14.00's. But really you need to read the side of the tire for max load and pressure. I've seen 14.00 x 24's that are different heights depending on the profile and tread. Get the good tires and not the cheapies for a machine like the Lull. They are heavy and when you get them in the air with a load, you want them stable! For most applications, you shouldn't need foam or chloride, but it would be nice so you don't ever have leaks in the tires. Foam is usually very heavy, so if you need to haul the machine, it might make a big difference. The tires should be near max. pressure to keep the machine stable with a load in the air. Squishy tires are a no, no on these units.

  3. #3Speedpup2009-05-10 18:16

    I buy Titan tiores made in the USA now that Goodyear sold out to them Capacity is higher on 14:00 I run calcium as I don't want to swing the weight of calcium. They have a non-corrosive fill but no dealer near me Thanks for the opinions!:drinkup

  4. #4RandyS2009-05-10 20:59

    Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm thinking nearly ALL Lulls require ballast in the tires??? Seems to be real important due to how much you can change the center of gravity by moving the carriage. Last big rental house I was at required all Lulls to have foam filled tires (too hard to keep any liquid solution in them due to flats)

  5. #5Speedpup2009-05-11 03:05

    all Lulls need ballast in tires. If I get a flat I just plug them,