Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Value of a good dealer

DPete ยท 2009-05-10 19:31

Friday afternoon one of our 623's came into the cut and the elevator did not go foreward when the lever was pulled instead it was going backward acting confused. We fooled with it and got it to rotate foreward but knew we had a problem. My thought was a broken spring but where and will it cause any damage to the system? I called the shop foreman at Quinn who took the time to look at it in his shop manual and called me back to say it 's probably the directional control valve on the speed reducer sticking or the spring is broken. They had the spring and Oring in stock and left them in the after hours box for me. Sat. AM I pull the valve spool plug and this is what I found. Repair time about 3 minutes cost $20 bucks and the machine is ready for Mon.Thank you Steve :notworthy

Replies7
  1. #1Speedpup2009-05-10 19:59

    yep nothing like a good dealer, That's why the local dealer for Lulls in NY sold me about 150 in parts in 20+ years and the other two in VA & NC have sold me thousands in parts and machines. No I am wrong local dealer did a repair estimated at 6500 on one Lull which ended up at over 11,000 I think he got into a parts changing exercise. He was on the phone with Lull for 3 weeks.

  2. #2Red Bank2009-05-10 21:35

    That is an example of great customer service, too bad the "big wheels" can't understand how by helping the customer do the job themselves, especially a job like this, will help them in the long run with a customer. I experienced a situation like that this past Friday with my Ford dealer, had a problem with a truck, service manager put their best mechanic on the phone and for 45 minutes he checked wiring diagrams and traced the problem for me while I was working on the truck. If they don't charge my account for that I will be suprised:drinkup Seriously it comes down to next time it won't be about price it will be about service. And it is about keeping their machines going regardless of who does the work.

  3. #3willie592009-05-10 21:44

    I have to agree with all points here. And this applies to "shopping around" for better prices, something I've tried to explain to my boss several times. Sometimes, it's the right thing to do to shop around an see if there's "a better deal out there". But there are certain dealers/suppliers that you deal with that you have found to be honest, fair, and "go the extra mile" to help you out. In those cases...I ain't shoppin' around, end of discussion. They're worth everything we pay them.

  4. #4ddigger2009-05-10 22:14

    I have had many of the same type results from my local cat dealer here in Sacramento(Holt). A guys just got to luv those remote drop boxes, I have one at a rental yard not more than 5mins from the house, when the Cat store is about 45mins away. Call by close of business and the part is in the drop box by 5:00am the next morning. Saved me countless hrs (and money) over the yrs.

  5. #5JonesBros2009-05-10 23:25

    This..is the best dealer story! We've got a Komatsu D39EX we just bought last year. The guy came and did like a 30-45 day check up on it. He came all the way almost 2 hours away and only found that the windshield washer fluid was low.. He had none on his service truck. He went back to the dealer that day, and came back the next..only to fill the washer fluid tanks.

  6. #6Karokis2009-05-14 10:23

    I tried posting a new topic but wouldn't allow me to do so. Anyway, What's the best way to get the best deal on a new machine? I was looking at some JCBs and notice that they are like 30k to 50k cheaper in England than they are in the states here. Just wondering how to get the dealer to drop the price down to a fair price here in the states. I seen 2009 JCBs 4CX advertised for 75k in england and here they want 110K+ for the same machine. What's the best way to get them to bring the price down or would I have to order from England to save me some big bucks even after shipping charges?

  7. #7JDOFMEMI2009-05-14 12:01

    First off, you need at least 3 posts before you can start a new thread. Second, Welcome to our site. Now, about your question, I do not know the answer for sure, but are you comparing dollar to dollar, or dollar to pound, or dollar to euro. The exchange rates will affect pricing as well. Also, with JCB being primarily British, they have no shipping figured in the price there. Same with any import duties, and who knows what other costs. I would expect if you bought it there, you would use up a good bit of the savings before you actually got it here. For getting the best price from the dealer, now is the time. They are very motivated to make sales.