Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

owner manual for wiring for for 1988 Ford F800

jab-law ยท 2013-04-14 21:04

I recently got a 1988 Ford F800 dump with a Ford diesel automatic (some of you helped me pick it out --- thanks). It drives real nice, and has good pick up. Only about 40,000 miles on it (old city plow truck -- lots of rust). The lights and wipers arfe either not working or partially working. I'm trying top locate the fuse box. any tips? Also, where can I get a wiring diagram or owner's manual? thanks. Jim

Replies10
  1. #1Birken Vogt2013-04-15 21:56

    I thought the fuse box was up above where the clutch pedal would be, if it had one. On second thought, maybe it was on the left or right panel where the side of your foot rests, opposite the transmission hump.

  2. #2jab-law2013-04-15 23:48

    Birken: Thanks for reply. I checked side panels, and could not locate anything. However, I did not look above where the clutch pedal should be, so that is good place to start. I used to drive an older school bus, but cannot remember where fuses were on it. Possibly under the hood. Otherwise, I just put an in-line fuse in and hot-wired whatever. Might have to do that here.

  3. #3Steve Frazier2013-04-16 00:02

    I used to drive Ford L models and on them there was a panel where you'd expect to find the glove box that was hinged and secured by two knobs. The fuse/breaker panel was under that.

  4. #4jab-law2013-04-16 01:00

    Hey, Steve. Good to hear form you. Your helpful comments previously helped me pick out this truck. It sure drives nice, and the motor is real nice -- and strong. Good pick up and handling, very predictable. It has a regular glove box, but I'll look around it for some fuses. Maybe I just need to pry off some panels, which there are some. thanks. Jim.

  5. #5excavator2013-04-16 01:26

    It's the same as a pick-up cab so I would think above the brake pedal. I have one out back, if I have time in the morning I'll try to take a look.

  6. #6Steve Frazier2013-04-16 03:43

    Glad to hear it's working out well otherwise!

  7. #7stumpjumper832013-04-16 07:28

    I have an 88' f-800 too, its above the brake pedal. If you need photos of what mine looks like or anything. I'll be glad to help. And yes they are a sweet running little truck. Yours have the 7.8?

  8. #8jab-law2013-04-16 09:21

    Yes, it has the 7.8. The bed is rusty as all (used to carry salt), but is sure does run and drive nice. It is actually a pleasure to drive, once you get used to is. Sure handles the corners well, brakes nicely, and has nice feel on the wheel. Front had a pronouonced wobble when i got it, so I took some string and trued the left front tire. it was offset about 1/2 inch. I don't know if that was all the problem, but it seems to have smoothed out (knock on wood). I had a truck mechanic look at front end, and he send all was pretty tight, considering its age - so I'm hoping I took are of the problem by truing the wheel (I tied a string from fender to the ground, spun the wheel close to the string, loosed the lug nuts after I saw the 1/2 inch variance, and then re-tightened. I don't know the acceptable proceed for getting the wheels on true, but hopefully this is a safe bet.) One other question -- when i tighten the lug nuts, should I use an impact wrench, or is a breaker bar with extension adequate. I prefer the breaker bar, as it is easier to remove log nuts if necessary, and this was adequate when I drove the old school bus (short body, like the F800). Good hearing from you -- and thanks again. Jim

  9. #9Steve Frazier2013-04-16 12:21

    I used a similar method of truing the wheel but instead of the string, I just laid a 6x6 block on end as close as I could to the tire without touching it and did the same in tightening the lugs. Where I worked the blocks were always laying around the shop. We carried lug wrenches in the trucks and checked the nuts occasionally, especially if the rears had spun in slick areas.

  10. #10heymccall2013-04-17 12:58

    Headlight switches are prone to melting along with the connector. If it's just the headlamps, the hi/lo switch on h floor is also prone to failure. Wiper motors were failure prone, too, and the replacement motor assembly comes with a different connector, and, the newer style has been trouble free. The only fuse panel resides on the firewall behind where a clutch pedal would reside.