Hey guys, Currently I have a Grove TM155 that is a pretty good crane. However, I think I might be interested to sell it and replace it with a little bit heavier crane. There are a couple of cranes that are currently in the price range I think I can afford. One is a 1979 Grove TMS 300. The other is a 1974 P&H T250. Despite the 5 ton difference, both are look pretty similar. The only crane I've ever used is the Grove TM155. Not being a professional operator, I don't know what to ask, other than good and bad points between the two. Pretty much any comments about the P&H versus the Grove. thanks, Mark
Either rig is a good, well built machine and both had good lifting characteristics. The Grove should have a longer boom than the P&H though, and 30 ton capacity compared to 25 ton for the P&H. And the Grove would have been fitted with a swing away lattice jib whereas the P&H had the A frame pedant line supported jib. If you can live with these differences, I'd consider the engine, do either have an aux winch, and what type of transmissions. Most of the late 70's TMS machines I drove had the Roadranger tranny where the early 70's T series P&H used a twin stick main and aux transmission.
Both are on E-Bay. Here is the Grove: http://www.ebay.com/itm/251352055494?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649 P&H: http://www.ebay.com/itm/271295290129?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649
Agree with willie as both were good brands. For myself I would lean towards the Grove due to good parts support for the older riggs. Found a P&H 250 at www.machinerytrader.com/listingsdetail/detail.aspx?OHID=8779271 Grove 300 www.machinerytrader.com/listingsdetail/detail.aspx?OHID=9437937 Only thing I might have against a P&H is the ..........What I call cantilever style outriggers . Also dont like the folding outrigger foot on a crane. Seems like a more complex design with alot of pins & bushings that would wear over the years & need extra attention . I know they work fine, Its just my opinion. This P&H 300 shows the outriggers better. www.machinerytrader.com/listingsdetail/detail.aspx?OHID=8789825
the grove is a heavier crane much better chart, and you can still go to a grove dealer and get parts for it easily. can't do that with the p&h. also if you are taller than 66" the cab will kill you.
I've never ran a P&H so I may be a bit biased. But there's a reason for the price difference in those two. Those old TMS 300 are strong cranes. Very simple machines as well.
I just sold a Grove 300LP 35 ton. 76 model. I paid $45,000 for it, put $45,000 in it, and sold it for $45,000. It wasn't very well maintained, obviously. I put a remanned engine in and two transmissions, and repacked all the cylinders. Just be careful with an older crane like that. It may be ok, may not be. But the crane is stout for what it is. Rides like a log wagon compared to the newer rigs which have better suspensions. You wouldn't have to deal with all the computer stuff!
The P&H was sold. I've exchanged a couple e-mails with the seller of the Grove. However, I have the feeling we won't be able to meet on price. But, time will tell. Mark
Like Impact noted be carefull on older riggs. $30,000 sounds pretty cheap for a 1979 TMS 300.Might be a good deal or could be a nightmare. Swing bearing alone could cost $20,000. When we went looking for a hydraulic truck crane I found the cheaper units setting on a truck lot with no service history,Buy it "as-Is". I ended up buying mine from an owner /operator that was pretty close to retirement and new the history on the machine.Had to pay a little more than I wanted but was the best decision in the long run. Off topic FirstEliminator but how are ya getting along with the Grove 155? Did ya ever find a 2 or 3 sheave block for it? That 155 looked like a nice handy rigg.
The TM155 is o-k. I did buy a single sheave block. There are some little things missing and other things that were broken and never fixed or not fixed properly. Although it is functional, it goes right along with the cheap "as-is" level of crane. Perhaps the tms300 is just a bigger version of what I already have. Bigger is better...right? If the tms300 comes my way, that is cool. If not, then I'll keep the tm155 and try to fix the odds and ends....sometime. Thanks, Mark
Thats cool FirstEliminator. As far as parts go Grove supports the older units well. I would concentrate on getting the 155 up to par and find a 3 sheave block for it.You might be supprised what that rigg will do. Bigger aint always better........With that 155's 6 wheel drive & short wheelbase you could walk it rite up close to a job like ya own the place in off road/ muddy situations where a bigger heavy unit would have to stand back & jamb out all the boom to reach the same job. Good luck with it either way ya go.
Time to list the TM155. I think I am going for the TMS300.
Thats great FirstEliminator! Sounds like ya got a good deal on the TMS 300. I'll have to dig abit but somewhere in the office is a service manual covering the Grove TMS 300 to 400 LP cranes. Good luck with the new rigg
I operated a TMS-375 back in the mid 80's, that trapezoid boom is a helluva strong boom, nothing like the bendy booms they make today. Not saying the bendy booms aren't better to some degree, their lighter weight allows for longer booms, but they sure are different. Making a pic with them is akin to a fishing rod with a lunker large mouth bass on the line.