Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

PA trailering questions

lars ยท 2009-09-28 22:26

I'm having a little trouble getting my facts straight in setting up a trailer. The DMV knows less than I do and my local title guy won't spend more than 30 seconds on the phone with me, so I'm hoping someone here might have some insight on this. First, in PA is it true that you do not need to register for a combination if you are pulling a trailer less than 10,000# GVWR? If you don't have to register it in combination then does GCWR = Truck GVWR + Trailer GVWR. Second, what do I have to do to determine my GCWR to register a combination? I know if it is not on the title I can use the number from the manufacturer. However, I also heard that I can take the truck to a mechanic, who will look at my hitch and mechanicals and assign a GCWR for the truck. Is this true? Fianlly, when DOT puts you on the scales in PA, what weights are they checking? With a pickup and gooseneck it seems possible that I could have a scenario where I would be under the GCWR and all GAWR's would be fine, but the tongue weight would push me over for the GVWR of the truck (b/c like most pickups the GVWR is less than the front + rear GAWR). Conversely, I could register a trailer at 10k with 2 6k axles and due the truck not being maxed out have more than 10k on the trailer and still not be over on GAWR and GCWR. So when they check weights it is GCW and axle weight, or do they check the truck and trailer to see if you're not over rated weights for each one?

Replies5
  1. #1bill onthehill2009-09-29 06:17

    I know of guys getting burned for being over on front axle weight on a tandem lime truck even though they were under on overall weight. the trailer will be derated by the tire rating as well. Lot of guys let it slide but some will start off checking tire rating and it just goes downhill from there.

  2. #2tootalltimmy2009-09-29 12:45

    I think that at all DOT scales you must be under the individual axle weights as well as the total gross vehicle weight. You must distribute the load weight to stay within those limits.

  3. #3Kgmz2009-09-29 23:11

    Is this a pickup or a commercial truck class 4 and above? If it is a pickup you will have to use the manufacturers weight ratings GCWR and GVWR and rating for front and rear axle, plus make sure the tires are up to the rating of the axles. If this is a class 4 and above truck, here is a link for you. And call the number there and order the "Truckers Handbook" http://www.pahighways.com/truckinfo.html What they will be checking for at the scale. Front axle weight Rear axle weights GVWR of the truck Tire ratings GCWR of the truck which will include the trailer Trailer axle weights And wheelbase

  4. #4lars2009-10-05 21:27

    Everybody, thanks for the help so far. Some creative searching has answered a few of these questions so far in case anyone wanted to know. BTW, this is for a pickup and 14k gooseneck setup. As far as the GCWR vs GVWR and axle debate, this is still where I'm most confused. Some say as long as you're under for your registered combination and under on your axles you are good. Like Kgmz said, I've heard if you're over on the GVWR on the truck you're busted, too. If anyone can point me to the right direction on this one, I'd greatly appreciate it.

  5. #5IH 3500A2009-10-13 22:41

    Be sure to check the PA Driver and Vehicle services web site, lots of good info. Also be ready to be stopped and checked frequently. Our clean late model flat bed shop truck ( 33,000 GVW I think ) at work has been stopped 12 times in the past 2 years for on the road spot checks. ( has not failed once )