Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

painting Excavator

KMSEXC ยท 2008-02-09 14:53

Hey fellows I m looking for info on painting my excavator how do you guys go about painting ,thanks hope Im in the write post KMSEXC

Replies18
  1. #1Legdoc2008-02-09 20:12

    What condition is the machine in? Is it rusty? How greasy is it? Has it been repainted before?

  2. #2Kgmz2008-02-14 11:31

    Here is a page from Ritchie Brothers that has the basic steps. http://www.rbauction.com/refurbishing/refurbishing_service.jsp

  3. #3KMSEXC2008-02-16 20:30

    machine condition Machine is greasy from maintenance, one dent on side , but beside age it is a tight machine Never painted Thanks KMS

  4. #4KMSEXC2008-02-16 20:32

    Thanks Thanks for info

  5. #5ASPHALT042008-03-09 23:21

    The approach I would take is oil and grease remover and a hot pressure washer to start. Just remember the more time you take cleaning it with pressure washer is less hand cleaning once its inside. I painted equipment for years in the winter time and cleaniless is next to godilness! From there it all depends on the quality of the paint job your looking for determines the next steps I would go thru.....auction paint jobs to me are far less than what I would perfer, but I'm a little anal about that kind of thing though.

  6. #6Legdoc2008-03-10 20:02

    I am in the process of refurbishing a JD 690 excavator. It was a ex city machine with poor maintenance, very dirty with worn boom bushings. I started with a double application of rig wash followed by a thorough hot water 4000 psi wash. After a thorough inspection the boom and frame bushings were replaced followed by a complete removal of the electrical harness. Another degrease and hot pressure wash then by section I blasted the areas white with black beauty and immediately followed with epoxy primer. Imron is the final coat applied the next day or two. I did remove the glass and do some sheet metal work. It is nice how good she is starting to look! But it is alot of work even with the proper equipment. I am about 50% done. It is taking quite some time and the project has been on hold due to other priorities. If you are going to do it yourself my advice is degrease degrease degrease then you are ready to get started with your paint job. Good luck!

  7. #7KMSEXC2008-03-12 19:50

    Starting to paint Im going to start spraying in the am i let you know how it came out ive been cleaing and sanding for four days hope it comes out nice

  8. #8Willis Bushogin2008-03-12 20:56

    painting I think I gave my 2 cents about this before, but heres what I do. Cleaning, cleaning and more cleaning, is the key word. In my area we have guys with the hot water pressure waters that come out and clean it, for about $200, they do a great job. I have my own pressure washer, but that hot water is the trick. Do the body work, or buy replacement panels from a salvage yard. a bunch of trouble to pull the glass, but if its rusted bad around the seal, takeem out. Now sand, sand, sand and sand, then prime with good primer. I painted my Cat 320 about 2 years ago, I could find the exact paint color at my local Napa store, so I went to Cat and bought the smallest container of Cat yellow, for that year, took it to Napa and they matched it with a good 2 part paint. I also bought a clear coat, to go over it. Some of the paint has a clear coat in with the paint, but I added just clear coat over the paint. Machine still looks great. I got my local sign guy, to take some pictures of the decals and make me a new set, cheaper than Cat. If you cant paint 2 part paint, ask around, a bunch of body shop paint guys, are looking for weekend work, weather permitting. I think, I had about $600 in paint and materials, not sure about this excatly. Final thought, Customers and their friends remember a good looking machine

  9. #9KMSEXC2008-03-15 11:52

    Done Painting Excavator Hey fellows thank you for all your help , i finished painting Excavator looks aw some except i don't really care for the link belt colors , paint was 365.00 dollars for one gallon red and one gallon white decals were 650 dollars we cleaned the machine for three days that was the key the only thing i regret was not using primer on some areas Thanks again Ill send some pics

  10. #10coopers2008-07-26 14:30

    definitely send us some pics.

  11. #11Iron Horse2008-08-16 20:14

    How's those pics coming along ?

  12. #12humboldt deere2008-08-17 01:00

    where are Pics

  13. #13curly2008-08-17 09:48

    no pic=didn't happen

  14. #14Willis Bushogin2008-08-17 17:22

    painting machines Just a few hints on saving money and get a better job. I needed to paint my Cat 320L excavator and I knew the Cat paint wouldnt hold up, So; 1. bought the smallest quantity of Cat paint $22 2. took to automotive store and had them match the paint, with a quatity paint $158 a gallon. 3. went to local sign shop and had them download the decals I needed and print them ,$180 and they looked great and still does after 2 years. I have also have them come out and take pictures and make them from the pictures. I figured I saved about $500 and ended up with a better product But thats what I did

  15. #15rabia2012-09-17 05:57

    Willis your points are valid. I liked it. In this way along with doing a better job you can save your amount.

  16. #16Norbert772016-08-21 19:57

    Old thread rehash; how many gallons to paint an excavator?

  17. #17Willie B2016-08-21 21:05

    I have few facts, lots of opinions. The quality of a paint job is 85% prep, 10% paint, 5% decals. Clean to bare metal everything, grind away all rust. fill all grind holes, prime them, mask, paint. All paint looks OK new, good paint looks good in 15 years. It's a big nasty job, your machine is out of service. It runs better with fresh paint. Willie

  18. #18td25c2016-08-24 21:21

    I would guess 4 gallon of yellow & 2 gallon of black for the 690 . Had really good results with Dupont " Nason " equipment paint . Sprays on like the old school acrylic enamel & dry's fast . http://www2.dupont.com/Coating_Solu...nloads/tds/TDS_Nason_FastDry_Topcoat_IE_E.pdf Like mentioned it's all prep work , the painting is quick & easy . Now if the original paint is sound and not cracking or peeling we leave it and just scuff it up with 240 or 360 grit sand paper .