Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Painting Excavator advice needed

racerboy832 ยท 2016-03-14 21:51

I am trying to spruce up my IHI excavator. It looks like it went from red to teal to yellow in the past. I really like the Hyundai, Volvo and Samsung colors. Is there a similar paint that is inexpensive that comes in a rattle can as well as gallons. This is just a yard toy for me but would like to make it a little more presentable. Thank you.

Replies7
  1. #1RBMcCloskey2016-03-14 22:00

    Get the paint codes, take them to a auto body paint supply house, they can fill rattle cans with the appropriate colors.

  2. #2DB22016-03-14 22:33

    Napa has a house line of paint that has the various equipment manufacturers colors.

  3. #3maddog2016-03-15 08:23

    the paint is only a small part of the job, preparation is what will keep it nice and long lasting.

  4. #4racerboy8322016-03-15 14:10

    I guess what I am looking for is anyone that has used the Rustoleum, Valspar or other off the shelf brands that are offered in spray and Gallon.. I have a hard time telling the different yellows on my computer. I like the Volvo color but don't want to get to involved with the base coat, clear coat stuff.

  5. #5maddog2016-03-15 15:50

    I've used both rustoleum and valspar on my equipment. Not sure exactly what color you're looking for, but prep work is the only way any of it will last.

  6. #6southernman132016-03-16 08:33

    I e painted several trailers with rustoleum. It holds up and lasts very well but the shine will go away pretty quick. Like said automotive paint is better to keep the gloss

  7. #7Tattle creek2016-03-21 09:53

    I painted a 5000 ford tractor with cheap equipment enamel 10 years ago . Tractor still shines no fade been sitting out side last 5 years . The trick was I reduced it with a reducer that had an intergraded clear in it . I think it was western brand .it was $40? A gallon ,but really protects the paint . I painted a couple wreckers with it also about 15-18 years ago still have one still shines and looks good .i will try and find part# . It shines like base coat clear coat without the hassle .