Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Painting old 580 CK with brush and roller….pics.

1968 Case 580CK ยท 2015-08-10 08:07

Someone had mentioned that they would like to see some before, during, and after pictures of how I paint my old 580 using Rustoleum and a brush and 1 inch roller. Here is an example showing the engine hood being redone: I will post these pics, and then add the final ones.

Replies64
  1. #11968 Case 580CK2015-08-10 08:19

    Now for the first coat of my blend of yellow (using Rustoleum yellow mixed with exact parts of red and brown): This is after the third coat: I only sanded between 2nd and 3rd coat, using one of those green rough sanding cloths. So, I am not using the fancy spray gun equipment and high dollar paint, but it is turing out pretty darn good: If anyone has any questions as to the process, I will be glad to answer them.

  2. #2hosspuller2015-08-10 20:32

    Good Job ! I like how you kept the exposed engine under cover. :drinkup

  3. #3Jonas3022015-08-10 20:39

    Sure is looking nice

  4. #4excavator2015-08-10 21:28

    Nice work! Years ago I was involved in the local antique tractor club and there was an older gentleman who mixed his own paint and brush painted his tractors. Not a brush mark or a run on the entire tractor, it was amazing what he could do. Looked everybit as good and often better than most sprayed jobs.

  5. #51968 Case 580CK2015-08-11 07:50

    Thanks Hosss.........hey, I drove her into the garage as far as I could.....beats being out in that hot sun for sure.

  6. #61968 Case 580CK2015-08-11 08:01

    Thanks Jonas......While the hood is off, I was hoping to pull off the valve cover and watch while the engine runs, to be sure the oil is getting through those galleries and up to the top. Good time to do that.

  7. #71968 Case 580CK2015-08-11 08:03

    Maybe in a few years I will be that old man at the tractor show sporting the brush and roller in his hand. Sprayed or brushed-on, its just good putting a stop to that creeping rust........as ole Niel Young would say, "Rust never sleeps".

  8. #8Jonas3022015-08-11 20:53

    The thing is you did all the work just didn't spray usually when you think a brush and roller job its pretty sloppy By the way we used a lot of rollable primer doing auto body

  9. #91968 Case 580CK2015-08-12 08:35

    Jonas......so, your an auto body expert. Question for you....Would you reccomend that I use a spray can of clear-coat on top of this Rustoleum oil paint? Just thinking that would give it a harder surface. Or do you think it would just mess up the paint?

  10. #101968 Case 580CK2015-09-19 18:03

    Got some updated pictures here. Looks like a very happy face on the old lady, with her hood and grill back in place: Also got the power steering filter changed before putting the ornaments back on. I used a cheap hand fluids pump to pump out about a quart before removing the canister. Wish there was a drain plug, but I used foil to create a cheap funnel which diverted the old fluid to a flat paint roller can......worked great: Cannister hadnt been removed for about 25 years: Will attach in the next post....out of memory space.

  11. #111968 Case 580CK2015-09-19 18:08

    Here is the dirty/foul cannister and filter: A little elbow grease and : Cannister sticker says "Check every 60 hours". Does that mean, you can let the filter go every 25 years before replacing? Note to those changing this filter: The replacement filter I got did not come with the large O-Ring.....so be sure to save the large o-ring to re-use.

  12. #12Bill Smith2015-09-20 06:28

    1968 The tin foil idea is great . I will have to try that out some time

  13. #131968 Case 580CK2015-09-20 07:57

    Yea, we can use the tin foil to make hats to wear, and then just flip the hat up-side-down to catch the oil when draining the power steering fluid. But probably need to make a new tin foil hat after the oil change, unless the brill cream wasnt quite enough. ha haaaaa.

  14. #14CDNDIESELMONKEY2015-09-20 07:59

    This machine looks awesome! While looking through the pictures I had to keep reminding myself that it is being painted with a brush!! Real talent!:drinkup

  15. #151968 Case 580CK2015-09-20 08:13

    Hey CDN Diesel Monkey........Thanks mate......and dont forget the mini roller that I use after the brush strokes. With a coat of primer and 3 coats of yeller on top, I have a real thick layer of protection on that old metal. I just hope the Rustoleum will hold up over the years.

  16. #16Bill Smith2015-09-20 21:06

    1968 I did the same with my 580 super E .Brush and roller . But I did use the Case original paint You would not know it was a roller and brush job . Got Decals from discount supplier . I did not get around to doing the boom as winter came on but still looked ok

  17. #171968 Case 580CK2015-09-20 21:26

    Bill.......Grest job! I thought I was the only one crazy enough to use a brush and roller. We should start a club called the Case Brush and Roller Club, and coax others to try this crazy painting method.......but, we will probably be the only ones at the club meetings, and forced to drink the entire keg by ourselves. Hey, who needs more members anyway?

  18. #181968 Case 580CK2015-09-20 21:32

    Some more recent pics of the restoration: The old 580CK has her arms up in the air like a triatholon runner reaching the finish line. I still have a bit to do......electrical wiring to the work lights, new tie rod and power steering tie rod ends, and more paint work on the bucket and underneath.....but the finish line is getting closer.

  19. #19Bill Smith2015-09-23 07:31

    Is it not funny how we all leave the front bucket till last to paint . I never painted mine .

  20. #201968 Case 580CK2015-09-23 08:39

    Yep, and the thought of painting and then having rocks and dirt scraping and peeling it right off......but such is life. Maybe we should chrome plate the front bucket instead of paint???? Right.....cha-ching, cha-ching.

  21. #21old-iron-habit2015-09-23 10:23

    I painted a 1950s Massey tractor in 1973 with a brush and roller, used spray cans in the oddball engine and tranny spots. Its still looks decent today and most folks think it is good original paint.

  22. #22cb752015-09-23 12:14

    Looks very good. Years ago I worked with a guy who painted his F-150 with a roller and brush. Didn't look too bad at all.... From a distance. He put the paint on real thick, and left obvious brush/roller marks. It was just an old work truck.

  23. #23old-iron-habit2015-09-23 15:38

    Its the disposal foam brushes that really do the best job for less brush marks. Good job on the machines.

  24. #241968 Case 580CK2015-09-23 17:58

    There you go.......a real life experiment showing the brush-on paint jobs will last a long time. Would be nice to see a pic of the Massey in 73 after the paint job, and then a pic from now.

  25. #251968 Case 580CK2015-09-23 18:00

    Thanks CB75........Yep, Ive know other people who did their old work trucks......some look pretty good, and its better than letting the rust take over.

  26. #261968 Case 580CK2015-09-23 18:08

    Yep......I have been using those white foam rollers and plain ole el cheapo Harb. Freight brushes. Have to pluck out an occasional willder-beast hair, but not too often.

  27. #271968 Case 580CK2015-10-05 18:42

    Some pics showing the 580CK fully painted.....just finished the loader bucket: It was a bit of a pain wire-brushing the inside of the bucket, but its done.

  28. #28jimg9842015-10-05 19:38

    Cogs. on a very good job,,,I noticed that the steering wheeling doesn't have a cover cap in the center of it... which cost me steering box once, it pitted the steering shaft

  29. #291968 Case 580CK2015-10-05 21:12

    Boy, you have some sharp eyes. Yep, I need to make a tight fitting plastic cap for the steering wheel center. You are saying that moisture goes down the steering shaft and then gets into the steering box? I never thought about it, but it does make sense to get her covered as soon as I have time. I might just use some electrical tape/duct tape as a quick fix. Now I have a real nasty looking backhoe that I need to begin restoring/paint before re-attaching. No rest for the weary.

  30. #30hookedondiesel2015-10-07 06:08

    Nice, but i would have painted the bucket black. :tong

  31. #311968 Case 580CK2015-10-07 08:05

    Hookedondiesel........Yea, I thought of using black on the inside of the loader bucket, but couldnt find any oil-base black laying around the garage......so, I just went with the yeller as it was handy (and beginning to get crusty on the top). Mr. tightwad here......when I open my wallet, it squeaks from lack of use. ha ha. Did Case paint the bucket insides black or yellow from the factory? (I thought it was all yeller???)

  32. #32Bill Smith2015-10-07 18:47

    It was yeller

  33. #331968 Case 580CK2015-10-07 19:20

    Bill.....thanks for the info....yeller from the factory.....good to know.

  34. #34Gasnoil2020-12-26 19:56

    Awesome job!

  35. #351968 Case 580CK2020-12-26 20:46

    Thanks for the thumbs-up.........all that paint work was done about 5 years ago, and its still holding up pretty good. Latest thing I did was to install new front power steering cylinders: And a "top-notch" front end allignment: I gave it about 1/4" toe-in, and it is wobble-free up to 70mph. After that, it is "shiver me timbers!"

  36. #36Eric a1cnc2020-12-26 21:40

    Man! I bought a 68 580ck earlier this year that I have yet to start working on. I hope Mine ends up one millionth as nice as yours...

  37. #371968 Case 580CK2020-12-26 21:54

    Eric.......Well, just take your time with the project, and dont let it get the best of you. Im sure you can bring her back to good health without too much fussing. I learned a ton from the project. Start a new thread of your work when you start it, and maybe some of us can give some advice if you have any questions. Getty Up, Hi Ho Silver, Away!

  38. #38stinky642020-12-27 17:02

    70mph, hmm that must be the triple turbo, fuel injected, heat seeking Nascar edition nice job on the rebuild...

  39. #391968 Case 580CK2020-12-27 17:35

    stinky......ha ha.......or, on a steep hill without any brakes.

  40. #40stinky642020-12-27 22:17

    That would be the "dragonfly " edition drag er up one side, fly down the other...

  41. #41Gasnoil2020-12-27 23:05
  42. #42Gasnoil2020-12-27 23:11

    I bought a 1968 580 ck a month ago. Slowly started working on it. Was going to keep its Rat Rod look but your paint job has inspired me. I will be doing full paint as well. Also, I came across your post looking for ROPS pictures, looking to build one for mine. Would you happen to have some close up pics to show how it attaches to the rear diff? Cheers,Luc

  43. #431968 Case 580CK2020-12-28 08:35

    Luc.......Wow, you got a real fine carcass to begin with......looks like all original orange and yeller paint on her. The only orange left on mine will be the engine when I get a chance to spray it back orange again, and those power steering cylinders. Funny how almost every rig gets modifications to the dash cluster......I see some toggle switches on yours, maybe for the drivers seat eject system? Does it seem to run pretty good? No need for any major engine rebuild? Im real lucky with mine......after 30 years, she can sit for a year and I walk out with a charged battery, flip the switches, and she starts up with only a second of crank time.........and the stack bottle goes flying skyward. I think I still have a video on youtube, probably under "68 580CK cold start". I will look thru my massive picture files, and am sure I will find some detailed ROPS pics.

  44. #441968 Case 580CK2020-12-28 08:39

    Luc.......Hey, I see you have the most important part still on your 580.........the chrome buzzard between the front lights..........Are those LED lights.....if so, really bringing her "back to tha future". Where did you mount the flux capacitor? ha ha

  45. #45Gasnoil2020-12-28 08:54
  46. #46Gasnoil2020-12-28 09:02

    1 toggle is for ejection seat and the other one is for the Nitrous! I do have a pull switch that i will install, not a fan of the toggle,previous owner install, but i might install one that will allow the rear lights to blink"hazzard style".It ran very good until is started rewriring the dash and installed a new ignition switch, now it turns but no spark. Not quite sure what i did wrong, i have a coil on order and will start from there, but if anyone has any ideas on what i may have done wrong please feel free to chim in.hey if you have that youtube video link, please post it would be cool to see. And yes please if you find these ROPS pics they would really be helpful. Soon as can get off my lazy A** I will start the restoration and document as I go. It will most likely be a "Resto-Mod since i have LED lights and all lol. cheers.

  47. #47Gasnoil2020-12-28 09:08

    lol no flux capacitor installed just yet. For now, I installed LED as they were cheap and take less battery juice "i think", since alternator not hooked up yet. Want to be able to clean my driveway this winter and over here it gets dark at 5pm pretty much from Nov to March.I do have a set of the original style so depending on how the overall look turns out might get it back with originals, or maybe turn this beast into a Resto-Mod...maybe add mag wheels! lol

  48. #48csthompson122020-12-28 09:13

    580ck, did they mix the rustolem to match at the store? Looks great! I was thinking of doing a roller job. Was wondering the best paint to use for that.

  49. #491968 Case 580CK2020-12-28 16:54

    stinky......dragonfly......thats a good one. But I tell you, it sure aint fun operating an old backhoe on a hillside with no brakes, and to have the Hi/Lo pop into neutral and go flying backwards down a hillside. Thats when I would just drop the rear backhoe, and then the front bucket and hope for the best.

  50. #501968 Case 580CK2020-12-28 16:56

    csthomposn.,....paint color.......Yep, I believe I brought a sample part with the correct color, and they added a few drops of red and a few drops of brown to the bright yellow Rustoleum to get the Case yellow color.

  51. #511968 Case 580CK2020-12-28 16:58

    Luc........funny......Case 580 Resto Mod with mag wheels. Dont forget the sound system with sub-woofer, and GPS so you dont get lost driving in the dark after those LEDs burn out. ha ha.

  52. #521968 Case 580CK2020-12-28 17:07

    Luc.......Yep, the video is still on Youtube. But I am wearing a shirt with the word "Liberty" on the front, so those dam commies might try to ban the video if they notice it. Here is the link: 1968 Case 580CK Cold Start Is yours diesel or gas?

  53. #531968 Case 580CK2020-12-28 17:15

    Here are some pics of the ROPS............will post more if I find them.

  54. #541968 Case 580CK2020-12-28 17:19
  55. #55Gasnoil2020-12-28 19:47

    Your tractor looks amazing. You should be proud of all that hardwork! Mine is a gas 159ci.

  56. #56Gasnoil2020-12-28 19:49

    Those pics are super helpful. I've been searching on and on for a view of how this ROPS attaches, now I can build it! Cheers and thanks 580ck! Luc

  57. #571968 Case 580CK2020-12-28 20:47

    couple more pics showing how the front of the ROPS was installed: Luc......Just holler if you need any more close-up pics.......I took tons of pics during the entire process.

  58. #581968 Case 580CK2020-12-28 20:49

    Luc........"You build it, and they will come"........from the movie "Fields of Case 580s". ha ha. Glad the pics are helpful.

  59. #59Gasnoil2020-12-28 20:58

    Awesome and thanks again! One fine looking classic you got there. Cheers and stay safe, Luc

  60. #60Gasnoil2021-05-18 21:28

    Hey "1968 Case 580CK", I finally started my ROPS build! The pics you shared were an amazing help in my design.Check out my time lapse video of the ROPS,fender build and restoration part 1 and 2. More to come every weekend. Thanks again "crazeyspivey". Cheers! Part 1 Part 2

  61. #611968 Case 580CK2021-05-20 06:59

    Hey GasnOil.....Man, you work is utterly amazing, and your time-lapse video is totally awesome!!!! You are doing some incredible work on the old Case, and have more "get up and go" than most of the lazy bazzterds amongst us these days. Big round of applause for your work, and for taking the time to make the videos!!!! I want to spend more time on the videos, but I did notice that you painted the ROPS yellow, then after welding the top, you went with black. Was that yellow just too bright? I recall that I had to buy the standard yellow, and then have it mixed with some brown and red to get that mellow-yellow Case color. Also, you are lucky to have a tall garage door entry....but not by much. Did you make your ROPS a bit lower than mine so you can get her into the garage? Thats the trouble with my ROPS.....so darn high, I have to keep her outside and built a wood frame to go over the body, and then tarps over that.....a big effort to untarp and re-tarp and tie down. Hoping someday to have a shop tall enuff like yours. Fenders....great job on those....better than the "clamshell" fenders that came stock like mine are. Talk to you soon.

  62. #62Gasnoil2021-05-20 21:11

    Hey 580CK, thanks for the kind words. It's been definitely a few more weekends of work than I expected. Alot of work to custom fab some fenders, but it will feel a bit safer than seeing those big wheels turning on each side...crazy how it was back in the day lol. So for the ROPS i made sure to leave at least 2 inches of clearance for my paintbooth and garage door....had to remind myself to not make too high otherwise this would have been a garage tractor if I couldn't get it out. For the yellow, its close to the original, but I ended up getting decals from a 580C and the word "construction king" is in yellow and goes on the ROPS, so i guess Resto Mod it is... I took a day off tomorrow to give this a final push so I expect to paint it this weekend...stay tuned! cheers

  63. #63Fr0g2024-07-22 10:16

    Inspiring! Amazing work.

  64. #64IceHole2024-07-22 12:02

    Can get a cheap spray gun for $25-30. Cheap enough to just throw it out after vs cleaning it and using up $10 of paint thinner.