I'm wanting to paint some wheels/rims and leave them on a road-tractor that I bought. They are a little rusty. What is or is there a good way to paint them with leaving them on the tractor without getting paint on the tires????
Blue painters tape, newspaper/craft paper and a lot of time?
We used to use an SOS pad to scuff the rims up then clean them with a paint thinner or similar solvent and after it dried we had an oil based gray paint and wed brush the rims. They turned out good and was cheap and easy to do. Now they're all aluminum rims so we haven't had to do it in a few years but it worked well when we did it.
Take a little grease on your finger, Murphy's tire lube is best, but regular old grease works, and grease the tire from the rim out. Spray the rims, and after it dries good, the grease and overspray will wipe right off. This also works good for decals and etc.
check out http://minimizer.com/tiremask/ looks like it might work do not know about price .
I have a small piece of metal flashing that I use. Slide it down between the rim and the tire, paint that part and move along, repeat process till tire is painted. Takes some time but it works well.
Ditto this. The right piece of plastic works also.
I must be really lazy, but I have a metal band I use, roll the ends so they overlap, use a vise grips to hold it together and then place it in a circle over the outer edge of the rim, paint the rim and take from rim to rim, use one hand to hold the band, one to run the paint gun, any paint that drips from the rim, use a rag and wipe it up as you go. Done this for years on hundreds of rims, wagons rims we take off, lay them flat and save holding the band in place, then flip the rim over and do both sides, truck and trailer rims we try to do when their off as well, then we can do both sides as well on those too.