Now that the US has withdrawn from the Climate Accord can engine manufactures now go back to building proper reliable engines without all the electronic junk???????????????
The way I understand it the climate accord was to limit CO2 emissions (i.e. quantity of fuel burned) which anyone can see has gone the opposite direction with these choked off engines. The choked engines are to limit NOx, CO, HC, PM and fuel economy be hanged. This was all promulgated by the bureaucrats at the EPA near as I can tell so they certainly have the power to roll that back at any time without having to ask the French for permission first. Whether they will do it is anyone's guess. I don't think anything like it has ever been done before. Their job is to make it harder, harder, harder, never easier on the common man. If anything like this happens it would be amazing.
I doubt it will change much in the US.. Except for the $2.3 trillion Obama wanted to pass on to the U.N. ain't gonna fly now. Oops.. sorry mods, but that's what it's all about.
Be careful fellows, with the parties/individuals involved in this event we all know it can get political really quickly.
I look forward to a day when we actually may manufacture something in this country again and spend the money here instead of financing a certain segment of the rest of the world.
I'm glad. It was just a bunch of feel good BS to make the hippies happy anyways. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for clean air but burning more fuel and mining more precious metals for the exhaust systems seems to be the wrong direction to go in.
with all of todays technology they can build engines that will get great mileage , conserve fuel and not give problems, but it is NOT profitable for certain parties, so you will never see it happen, and the result are these crazy agreements to funnel money to special interest and political arenas...hopefuly some common sense will flow back into the mix and something better will come out of it, but im not holding my breath....an example of stupid is I bought a 2017 new holland tractor with some crazy emissions burn off every 4 hours that you must let the tractor run or you end up clogging the cat and end up at the dealer to unlock the computer to get it to run again, so now if I dont plan right by keeping an eye on the hour meter, I have to let the tractor run 40 extra minutes burning all that fuel and you should see the smoke that comes out of it when it does, so I ask where is the emissions savings?
And when like technology machines are on construction sites and every machine there is on a different schedule it sure makes for a unproductive day.
Thinking Stan Goodmans comment on the scraper thread says it all about todays technology. A 45 year old 53yd Wabco doing the same loads and burning the amount of fuel as the very latest Cat 637. WE have been conned
now add in the repair bills for all that computer crap...lets go one better..how much more in manufacturing costs and energy to build and produce all of these very complicated machines.. you are 100% correct..it is nothing more than another way to seperate you from your money...look at all the fees and taxes on energy to supposedly make you use less..and this is global..
Without all the electronic junk, it would be too difficult for them to make sure your machine is un-repairable as soon as the loan is paid in full. I predict the electronic burden will get heavier regardless of environmental regulations.
that is true, but more to make you go back to the dealer and pay their rates for repair, or you can spend hundreds of thousands on your own diagnostic equipment and the software to run it...this has creeped into all equipment..I just saw an add for a stihl chainsaw that is now computer controlled for emissions, where this will stop..who knows..
The real issue with the Paris accords had little or nothing to do with current emission systems. The real issue was who was going to pay for the small countries to come up to world standards. India, Europe and Russia were not on the hook to pay countries in Africa, Asia and the middle east to throw away their old tech and purchase new cleaner burning stuff. I'm all for clean air and a decent world for my kids. I don't see why we have to pay the lions share of the rest of the world though.
John C. wrote: "(In the Climate Accord) India, Europe and Russia were not on the hook to pay countries in Africa, Asia and the middle east to throw away their old tech and purchase new cleaner burning stuff." Is there enough money and earning potential in this world to "... pay countries in Africa, Asia and the middle east to throw away their old tech and purchase new cleaner burning stuff?" I don't believe that most people understand how very much life is "another dimension," not just a third-world, in so many of those areas.
if you want a surprise, of what is contributing more to the so called green house gases in the atmosphere is methane gas..and guess where most of that comes from.........animals...you me and all the 4 legged friends on the planet.. google it and see,. methane is way more destructive to the ozone than what comes out the back of a car or truck.. trying to stay out of the political zone...its all about $$$$$..someone is making a ton of it on all these new controls and systems put on anything that uses fossil fuels, I think we are going backwards.. you also have to add in all the emissions that it takes to build the extra emission systems..it is so crazy its funny, but sad at the same time ..
xxxx
It's also the growing disconnect between regulators and real life...most of the people writing the regulations have that as a career track...they have never worked in the industry they are regulating. They hand down a regulation that says these pollutants must be below this threshold with not a care what it is going to take to get it there, nor how much it will cost, nor if it is even realistically possible. Totally disconnected from the physical world of reality and the destruction of money it causes both upfront and an ongoing basis. The manufacturers seemed to like it because of the business it drives I guess but I hope the extreme warranty costs and anger of customers are causing them to rethink this calculation.
Good post Birken, How many millions have been spent to obey the EPA? They have pretty much ruined construction machinery.
This climate change is a big deal to me . Big believer in green energy . So much that big portion of my fleet even has green engines . Rated to work in any environment and very sustainable over time . This is about saving the planet for future generations , I'm doin my part anyhow .
Dang it TD25c, Thanks for reminding me how green I am. And the sound is kept within the local area also.
Keep up the good work old - iron - habit . The world is depending on us with our green values bro !
xxxx
Hey I've got a green engine in my fleet too! Its one of those dual purpose engines, powers the truck and re-oils the road at the same time!
Hey Scrub, I think your puter has an illness
Ya I've been wondering what the xxx is about
I've got a friend that runs 25+ cattle pots every one of the has a pretty green Detroit in it and he keeps two or three on a stand in the shop all the time. ( just to clarify they're not screemers I'm not a truck guy,I'm not sure what model they are )
I don't think it will change anything. It's all politics, it has nothing to do with the real world where we are working to pay the bills. I don't think the manufacturers will go back to simple, mechanical engines, they want you to go back to the dealer for everything.
For some reason Scrub can't see new posts or is not notified of them . So he types xxxx in order to view new any new post's . Some sort of internet / computer problem ?
Compuker is low on DEF...
No doubt DIYDAVE . May have to catch Scrub on a shortwave radio
LMAO, that all green engine is just plain funny TD.
LOL, maybe xxxx is the service code, nobody except the dealer has the code and ET
No doubt willie . This thread need's all the laughs it can get . Makes me feel good that I'm doing what I can to help the planet & mankind with a green engine .
The 4x is the beer Scrub drinks. A Queensland brew
I'm with ya there. The boss recently purchase a 1972 Deere scraper, nobody wanted to offload it from the trailer. Fine...I'll do it! Fired it up, that's when I heard the sound of a 6-71. OH YEAH, WE'RE MAKING A LAP OR TWO AROUND THE YARD WITH THE FOOT ON THE FLOOR, MAKE THAT PUPPY SING!
Yair . . . Thanks for giving the explanation td25c. Cheers.
That sounds like fun ! Put the peddle to the metal willie !
My pleasure anytime Mate .
Hey , that's a nice looking machine ! http://www.auctiontime.com/listings/construction-equipment/auctions/online/19459237/1971-deere-860
Now here's a testament to the quality of people on this sight, give them an explosive issue like the Paris accord. Do they fight and name call over it? No they promptly switch the topic to Detroit engines then politely thank each other for the help.
A Deere with a Detroit... Almost an Honorary Wabco. LOL. Except for that hydraulic thing on the elevator drive...
Nah, its because we're tradespeople, equipment owners, equipment operators, truck drivers and business owners. We all have enough common sense and life experience to know what a crock most of this climate change stuff is. May as well just talk about Detroits and such. Its more productive than this Paris climate deal would have been lol.
Looks like we've got a new internet star- is that you willie59, turning that hot lap with the detroit nailed? It even acts like you hit the brakes there at the end- I thought most scrapers only had the bowl brake- drop the bowl to apply the brakes........
Hey, it surprised me as well, whoever was the previous owner took pretty good care of that machine. Well, with all the crap going on in the world today, and how one can get caught up in daily, we prefer to be anything but that, a place to get away from it for a spell.
Yep, that's me having too much fun! I haven't even seen the video yet, I totally forgot about that. And yes, surprisingly, the brakes actually work!