Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Park brake issues on 988 87a

ALLRED ยท 2025-03-05 21:48

I recently bought a 988 but the parking is dragging or not releasing all the way. I'm look for any information on adjustment and how the system operates

Replies11
  1. #1Nige2025-03-05 21:57

    For something from that era the online system contains little in the way of useful information. You may be better trying to get hold of a Service Manual. The Publication reference is REG00550. Here's a link to one on eBay If your S/N is below 87A2385 the manual will be different to the one I linked above.

  2. #2ALLRED2025-03-05 22:06

    87A7143 is my S/N

  3. #3ALLRED2025-03-05 22:09

    If I could find a way to disable the parking brake would be a big help i need to get it moved asap

  4. #4Nige2025-03-06 08:48

    In that case that manual will work. Hopefully someone else can remember how this brake system operates. The last time I was around an 87A machine was 40 years ago.

  5. #5ALLRED2025-03-06 16:42

    I'm currently looking for the release bolts size and length

  6. #6Shimmy12025-03-06 17:56

    Can you rig up a porta-power to charge the circuit?

  7. #7Nige2025-03-06 18:19

    1/2" NC x 4-1/4" long from what I can see.

  8. #8kshansen2025-03-06 19:16

    I do have a manual for one of these machines if that can help. Been a few decades since I worked on on but did many times over the years. Actually worked on a couple that had the drum parking brake that was before those "modern" multi-disk brake styles!

  9. #9ALLRED2025-03-06 20:10

    It seems to be charging fine just low pressure

  10. #10ALLRED2025-03-06 20:11

    Thanks

  11. #11ALLRED2025-03-06 20:13

    Have you ever caged one before or is there a way to bypass it that you remember