Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Park break not working

fcf1320 · 2012-03-17 14:29

Hi, I have no experience on backhoe loaders. I am planning to import one to Uruguay. Reading the inspection report says that park brake is not working. Do you think that could be a problem in the logistics of the fleet? Thanks,

Replies5
  1. #1oldseabee2012-03-17 18:13

    Park brake is a safety item, most fleets will require that it works. I use mine a great deal. Problem could be a bad park brake handle or cable. don't know what your machine is, so it's hard to tell how complicated the park brake is.

  2. #2fcf13202012-03-17 18:16

    Case 580 Super L 4 x 4

  3. #3alrman2012-03-17 18:40

    Like oldseabee says it could just be a handle or cable problem. The park brake on a 580SLE actually applies the main machine brakes, on the rear axle. The problem may be more serious - Hopefully there is still some lining remaining on the discs....... How many hours are supposed to be on the machine?

  4. #4fcf13202012-03-17 20:15

    6500 hs (they make no guarantee on the hours) .....in a 14 year old machine I don´t trust on that number.

  5. #5Bill Smith2012-03-18 08:18

    My case 580 se had a disk parking brake style on the lower transmission shaft .The splines that the disk was attached to striped rendering the parking brake useless. This is a pain and the machine becomes a 7 ton rolling nightmare if wheels are not blocked .I for 1 would not trust using your loader or down riggers to anchor the machine on a job site . Its a must do repair