Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

parking brake on 1988 F800

jab-law ยท 2013-04-20 12:18

Parking brake on my F800 does not work -- as far as I can tell. I'm new at this, so maybe there is something I'm not doing. The guy I bought it from said he just had $1000 worth of brake work done, and brakes are good. Parking brake is a mechanical link to the master cylinder -- just a short linkage from under the dash through the firewall. It looks like it might just be a valve of some sort. I am I supposed to depress the brake pedal, then pull out the parking brake??? Or does it need replacing or service?? Any hints appreciated.

Replies4
  1. #1heymccall2013-04-20 19:08

    The parking brakes are spring loaded, and are the same shoes as the rear brakes. If it has hydraulic assisted brakes, ie not AIR brakes. As for how to activate them, pull the yellow knob out any time you want the parking brake, foot on or off the brake pedal, it doesn't matter. The system was designed by the "prince of darkness" (Lucas), is supported by Arvin Meritor, is tradenamed Durapark, and is affectionately known as "Duracrap".

  2. #2jab-law2013-04-20 19:34

    If they don't activate when I pull the yellow know -- any idea on what may be wrong?? (they are hydraulic, not air)

  3. #3heymccall2013-04-20 23:46

    I'd start by seeing if the spring brakes are "caged".

  4. #4jab-law2013-04-21 12:34

    That was it. The brakes were "caged". Apparently the mechanic who did hte brake job did not release the cage when finished. I tested it -- works like a charm. Thanks much.