Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Sucking over the back roller

Scrub Puller ยท 2013-04-19 03:58

Yair . . . I have mentioned sucking D7's and HD16's straight off the ground over the back roller. I think peoples eyes glaze over and they think yeah yeah. This is how to do it . . . only this load is heavier. (Grins) http://www.hankstruckpictures.com/pix/trucks/steve_slocum/2004/may28/scan0026dc10064sn.jpg Cheers.

Replies11
  1. #1d9gdon2013-04-19 07:57

    Nice Autocar. A little overloaded unless you work in the oil patch and I'd say he does.

  2. #2redneckracin2013-04-22 10:19

    no no, he is checking the undercarriage! Some of the older fellas here at work talk about d6's getting sucked on over the tail roller while the truck is moving to aline it on the trailer back in the good old days.

  3. #3JDOFMEMI2013-05-03 01:47

    Nice find Scrub. I remember seeing those kind of loads gropwing up around the oil patch. Word is it is not overloaded if it fits and the tires still hold air.

  4. #4Scrub Puller2013-05-03 02:18

    Yair . . . JDOFMEMI Looking back it's quite remarkable what we did with those (now) old trucks. The thing was they were slow. Depending on the truck there could be 24 ratios before 25 to 32mph differentials. As some wise bloke said somewhere on this board lack of horsepower doesn't limit what you can do . . . it just limits the speed at which you can do it. As an interesting aside I see a few Youtube videos of sucking on, it seems the boys still do it from time to time, I would have thought the legislators would have found some reason to ban it by now. Cheers.

  5. #5rare ss2013-05-03 06:12

    there's afew clips on youtube from Indo doing the same thing.. does it quite well even uses the blade to let the truck down on the front wheels nice and gentle.. I was waiting for the BANG

  6. #6truckdoctor2013-05-03 09:54

    There is a picture on Hanks Truck Pictures that shows the fellas in the Canada oilfields pulling a D5 or D6 over the tailroll. I'll see if I can find it.

  7. #7heavylift2013-05-03 11:01

    pulled a lot of broke down equipment onto a folding neck trailer. They still haul drill mud, pipe racks and pump jacks on the back of trucks. I have seen a truck running around with a backhoe, but it has a dovetail. It still has the winch on it, so he may do some of the pulling stuff onto the truck

  8. #8heavylift2013-05-03 11:04

    I drove an old Autocar in the late seventies, Nice truck for being 20 years old. It had a 4x5 tranny, plus what seemed like a 4 foot steering wheel.

  9. #9truckdoctor2013-05-03 12:10

    : Bear with me this is my first try at hyperlink.

  10. #10Bumpsteer2013-05-03 12:41

    http://www.hankstruckpictures.com/pix/trucks/mark_kulak/2004/mar03/mullen02.jpg Here you go. Ed

  11. #11Dozerboy2013-05-07 10:58

    Hey they got their hard hats on and vests so thats got to be ok.