Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Partial Crane Tip Over in Sacramento

Birken Vogt · 2021-08-15 10:11

I am not sure what happened here.

Replies9
  1. #1skyking12021-08-15 11:45

    Let's go get some counterweight! Crane says "how about no"

  2. #2crane operator2021-08-15 12:07

    Boom dolly is sitting right behind it, but off to the side. My guess is operator is used to cheating and not putting down outriggers when coming out of dolly. Which you can probably get away with doing, with the boom straight behind the carrier. But not over the corner. But you can see in the pics that he's off to one side with the dolly, and with no outrigger out over that corner, when he came out of dolly it doinked over on that corner. Looks like somewhere around a 300 ton GMK. Nobody hurt it sounds like, just some pride and some iron. Everyone in a hurry with a weekend street shut down. Maybe trying to get out of the dolly quicker so they could get it out of the way to set mats.

  3. #3skyking12021-08-15 12:18

    Sound proper. I was just looking at that trailer with counterweights on it next door being the next move.

  4. #4crane operator2021-08-15 12:23

    I think the trailer right beside the crane was mats and the second winch frame. He didn't even get that far. Got pretty lucky that the boom stopped the crane, would have been ugly with the cab getting squished between that trailer and the crane. Looks like all it did was break the glass and bend some tin. Really close to losing the operator.

  5. #5Natman2021-08-15 21:41

    The engineer's birthday party was well entertained it sounds like. Kind of like a floor show for them.

  6. #6Birken Vogt2021-08-15 22:30

    If it was a shortcut to put on counterweights. It baffles me why presumably hourly employees take shortcuts like this. I guess I used to do it too when I was young and hourly to show off how efficient I could be. But it's no longer efficient now.

  7. #7crane operator2021-08-16 08:06

    So I spent a little longer looking at the video with it paused. That trailer right next to the crane, has the rear outrigger box on it, its the yellow upright box with pins in it- that I first thought was a winch frame. So to get down to a legal weight, they have to pull outrigger boxes off (at least the rear one it looks like). Then they either use that crane with the suspension locked, or a assist crane to install the outrigger boxes. I don't know which procedure that crane has, but either they need to scope in boom when bringing it out of dolly, or the suspension didn't lock up like it was supposed to. Most 300 and up have front and rear removable boxes. The 360 ton I was around had them, the front boxes are a pain to remove, the back one is pretty easy.

  8. #8Knepptune2021-08-16 09:47

    It almost looks more like something went wrong with the dolly. Either that or they went to boom out of the dolly without the swingers set. If that crane was still in free swing when he came out of the dolly it would have laid over like that. I can’t imagine someone swinging that crane with boom that low with the back beam boxes off. They run our 550 without the back beam boxes all the time. They’re always pretty quick to get the front outriggers out and boom at a pretty high angle before swinging over and getting the rear box. On the note about the swingers, that wouldn’t be the first crane that’s gotten damaged to the swingers not being released before they boomed out of the dolly. With the swingers in the operator has absolutely no control over the crane swing.

  9. #9skyking12021-08-16 11:32

    thanks for providing those details that makes a lot of sense and sounds terrifying.