My son is looking at buying a D6C s/n 10K12812. Overall looks like a nice dozer. I am just wondering about parts availability for this machine. I believe it is a 1977 model.
From my experience with CAT they should have about anything you could think of for a 10K machine somewhere in their vast component system. As for the small insignificant items like sheet metal and such maybe not so much, but anything the machine would need to make it operable they would likely have somewhere on the planet.
Thank you. I will let you know if he gets it.
I think 1977 is when they went to the D6D but maybe yours was one of the last C's before the change. I don't have my booklet handy to look it up. Someone will be along shortly that can tell from the serial number. Very popular dozer so parts shouldn't be a problem.
The undercarriage looks to be in good shape.
A little over 3200 original hours.
It has been well taken care of. Anything in particular I should be looking at on this series of dozer?
Other than some spalling on 1 track link it looks very good. Tracks look a little tight but that's a cherry D6C. Find it hard to believe only 3200 hours though. Definitely been repainted. Where did it come from?
Nice looking machine...with those hours it must have been an US Forest Service machine or something like that maybe? The enclosed/screened in cab makes me say that.
Looks like the grousers have been built up recently.
Yes it was a fire dozer. We are going to check it out next week.
Those meters don't have 10ths? Kinda looks like 324.5 hours. Maybe old magnet or old-iron-habit will speak up.
Beautiful looking machine. Be very hard to find a better one. Much of the expense is in the undercarriage,blade,winch and asthetic appearance.If it’s innards are as nice as it looks from the outside, it will be as good as it gets for a 45/50 year old machine.
Hour meters can be replaced. Just saying. Don't look at that meter, instead look at the machine condition. For something of that age actual condition is far more important than hours when considering what it's worth. It certainly does not look like original paint. Not talking here about the colour, more about the condition of the paint. My 2c, YMMV.
The burnt paint on the manifold suggests a repaint. Most new machines I've seen the manifold isn't painted and this one looks like it was by paint still being on the end bolt.
10K12812 makes it a 1976 YOB D6C. The last 10K D6C was 10K13703 in 1977. That's a very nice condition tractor, but if you believe that it's only done 3240 hrs, I've got some oceanfront property in Arizona going real cheap just for you. The undercarriage is virtually new, and that doesn't jell with an original 3240 hrs. It's had a full undercarriage replacement, and the original undercarriage more than likely ran for 8,000 - 10,000 hrs. It's had an easy life, and been well cared for, and that makes a huge difference when purchasing a tractor. The D6C is one of Cats most reliable and balanced tractors ever built.
Undercarriage could be similar with 3200 hours but very unlikely.
A good indicator is wear on the foot pedals,arm rests,floor plates,fan pulleys,all the bolt heads under the track frames etc
Seat and arm rests could be sun damaged or deteriorated over 40+ years.
This dozer is probably from CDF\Calfire. At one time the agency had about 50 of them. They would get a very low number if hours per year. Some only 150-175 per years. In the late 80s they were updated with the Erops and some got a cat certified rebuild and hours meters were zeroed out. Most orginly had the manual angle\tilt blade. All that were still in service circa 2008 or 9 ish had a straight blade put on them. The last ones were put out of service about 2020 or so.
CDF (or any other agency) would not have built up the grousers. More likely owned by a private fire contractor.
I beg to differ with you, having worked there for twenty years and know of two different D6C dozers they welded grouser bar on.
I learn something new every day. Did you work in SoCal or up North.
I spent most of my time in central. But did do a season in Canada
I value and appreciate all of your input. The knowledge and experience on this forum from all of you is incredible. I believe that the seller has a very in depth and complete record of the maintenance and repair history on this machine, him being the second owner after the fire service that it came from. I will report back after we look at it.