Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Parts Cross Referencing – Cat and others

621_Rocker ยท 2009-07-22 01:46

Is there any literature available that you can lookup a equipment part (Cat and other manufacturers) and it will give you the suppliers part number such as a bendix, haldex, or vickers part number so perhaps you can source these parts elsewhere without paying the Cat parts counter premium? 621_Rocker

Replies2
  1. #1Partsdude2009-07-28 11:39

    Short answer : No. Long Answer : That is why us parts people get a paycheck. If you are willing to part with your hard earned money the least I can do is try to find out if something can be crossed over to another number, and offer you the choice. On that note, not everything has a cross over number and some items are protected by the manufacturer. A lot of the cross over numbers are ones that are found by trial and error on the part of the customer and parts people. An example of this is oil filters. My employer sells Fleetguard, but if you bring me a Baldwin number I can use the Fleetguard website to cross that number. There have been instances though where the number does not work, but if I cross the Baldwin to Wix then cross the Wix to Fleetguard I can find your filter. It's not always that easy though...

  2. #2AtlasRob2009-08-01 07:24

    :notworthy when I got my first Atlas rubber duck my local parts guy had nightmares trying to cross reference filters, in the end I got a set from Atlas and took them in to him, as soon as he saw the engine oil and fuel filters he knew straight away what they were :thumbsup but try and cross reference them using books and/or web :Banghead waste of time. Thats experience for you. :drinkup