Today I bought up the last Wabco brake pads available in the NW and else where. Zero in any DC's out here. Only a few on the east coast. Air filters {Power Core} I bought the last five available, 1100 filters in De Moines which are being allocated to the huge outfits. With all the freight added to the parts orders cost of operating is getting steep real fast. Plus the price sky rocketing on parts period. Everyday I spend X amount of time on the phone sourcing parts. If I find it I buy everyone I can get, And every parts department call it's the same story {zero}.
Sounds like why no one could buy toilet paper a year ago....
I was in the plumbing supply house yesterday getting some PVC parts and caught the tail-end of a conversation. Their DC has 150,000 PEX-A 1/2" elbows on indefinite backorder.
Slightly different from that-because trucks don't move you have no toilet paper. We have 63 tractors I only have enough brake pads for three tractors. That's hardly hoarding in my book. Plus every outfit is in the same boat. I told dispatch today that every driver needs to be on notice to operate the engine brake constantly to conserve on the brakes. Drop speed back on any grades by dropping down another gear from normal gear. Engine brake on in heavy traffic. Once brakes are shot it's parked if I have no replacement pads.
Is the reason "made in china"?
Jesus Christ. Now I have to start hoarding backhoe parts because they are going to be like paper towels at Walmart? Is someone going to start a web page, the People of The John Deere Dealers with examples of plumbers crack, 400 pound women wearing thongs, and guys with tramp stamps?
It's not as important as truck parts but I can only buy a strut unit for one side of my RAV4. I've been waiting for the other side for 3 months and as of the latest update, have 2 months to go.
I guess this is what I can expect for posting this.------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Parts are being directed towards new truck manufacture to keep up production. That's part of it. But as any other reasons 90% are nothing but speculation. No one is setting on a 12 month supply of parts-shops can't afford to inventory that much.
I can't speak for any other industry, but we are facing similar issues with parts. So far everything has come in and before we were told it will. I am wondering if we are being told about backorders and long wait times so that it's not a surprise when it does happen.
The owner bought a new GMC High Plains Drifter or big nose jimmy fully loaded this last spring. He traded in a high dollar Ford Rapper that had 48,000 miles on it and just came from the dealer after having the transmission replaced. Over the 4th he was driving along in Idaho and the High Plains Drifter started knocking. He took it to the dealer he bought from, seems {or he was told part of spark plug failed} Warranty- Engine will arrive on no earlier than August 17th. The irony is they gave him his old Ford Rapper as loaner.
My truck parts house doesnt have a simple 1710 and 1760 u joint this week usually they have pallets three different brands places are getting short on a lot of different parts
It took me 7 weeks to get air filters for our Carrier units.
It’s those dam parts guys!
Well in these cases we will have to cut'em some slack.
I guess it was a good ideal that i bought spare pads and put them on the shelve. I saw this happening just after the virus started up. This will take several years to get back to the way things were if ever.
I have seen the same thing with tires the owner of the tire shop told me it is costing about 9 grand to get a container from asia and that's also 5 months minimum they were paying about 2500 a container a year ago seems it's a bidding war for container space on ships seems since the world shut down for 2 to 3 months last year it has caused a massive pile up on docks in asia so everyone has burned thru the little bit of inventory that was on the shelf but since no one carries more than what they move in a month that's really not a lot of inventory The supply chain will never be the same again the end user or fleet shop will have to become there own parts warehouse and that takes years to do without unseen financial burden
We're lacking filters, and other maintenance items. Bucket teeth are near impossible to get as well.
Filter company's in some cases are saying 3 to 4 month on some filters.
Lets open a filter cleaning business!
I have a customer that uses a filter cleaning business. I have already diagnosed several dusted engines. As far as I know the customer hasn't learned his lesson. Apparently by his math he is saving more money on cleaned filters and replacing engines than buying new filters.
Same here buddy. I don't even clean them myself.........I just want FWF to open up to me more so our relationship can grow
I know a well driller that used cleaned filters-it cost him two engines.
I tell customers all the time that filters and oil changes are the cheapest thing to replace on heavy equipment. So why cheap out? My best guess is that it's a numbers game and bit of a gamble. Equipment manager cheaps out on maintenance and shows the boss how much money he saved the company. And then gets rewarded with a fat bonus. By the time engines start going down he's long gone and ******* up someone else's fleet getting more fat bonuses.
I'm just the opposite-I walk into the office and tell the boss to sit down {I just vacuumed his bank account-I bought three hundred tires.
Do you run on a operation budget or just as needed Cause I cringe at keeping but I do have tires on hand all the time as well as multiple other things and I have a small fortune invested into 2 conexs of parts and we are small time compared to your outfit
Interesting, Jonas302. I just checked the 1710 u-joint and can’t locate any in the Alaska NAPA system. Holy cow.
You sick sick little monkey.
Everyone is crying COVID. They couldn't make them. They couldn't ship them. There was no one at the docks to offload them. Try finding an EGR cooler for an ISB or ISC . 3 month backorder. How do you tell people, sorry , yer down for the season.
I had a boss tell me one time "I don't know why I'm paying you, nothing is ever broke.", I moved on not long after that.
Better be careful about what you post gogal my black ball the HEF! I don't want to call people out but many are using the covid card, we're all hearing it several times a day.
No sweat, i get banned everywhere I go.
I stopped by a local truck shop today and they were waiting on a diff. yoke for 2 days ,the local drive line shop had to order it said they have a hard time getting them. Seems if you check on parts and they have them you better order them if you hesitate they won't be there when you go back. Bob
I just ordered two new ford trucks for my school district. A 350 and 550, I was told ford is estimating 30-36 week for delivery then it goes to the body shop for a few weeks.
Exactly, not a time to be a procrastinator.
Don't know about you guys but I still buy oil, spray lubricants and etc from Wally World since I don't have business account to get bulk nor do I have a Sam's or Costco or anything of that near here. Anywho the shelves are empty of said products, I don't know if it's cause the store is in small town or and they only drop off what is left from the big Wally World. Wife has been checking about every day she has been going to work for past week, thankfully the wife works in town and I never have to leave home again , but the backhoe is getting thirsty for oil I might have to shut it down soon. Not paying $100 per 5 gallons online, unless someone has some resources I can get some online. Might start buying 55 gallon drums at this rate.
Harbor Freight tool chests. Back ordered until November. In March, when I needed to find shipping for my backhoe from Indiana to Massachusetts, it was almost impossible to find trucks. One broker told me he had pallets of Mars candy bars sitting in the Mars warehouse, because there weren't enough trucks to move product.
I had the same idea about fluids. The price difference between buying aftermarket online, and buying Deere fluids from the Deere dealer wasn't enough savings to make it worth the bother. Plus, if I buy from my local dealer, I get better service.
I'm not the brightest LED in the string, but I'd understand that nothing breaks because my maintenance guy is on the ball checking things, and replacing stuff before it explodes in the field. I'd buy you a weekend in Maui if nothing broke.
Allison Transmission TCMs are not available. When asked about lead time, the answer is “ugh, ugh, weeks”. So that package truck will remain parked for awhile.
Check your local NAPA the ones here have hyd oil at 62 bucks. The hyd shops here usually have a less expensive oil also. Bob
Went by the local NAPA today and they have some truck disc pads on sale .which means their about everyone else regular price. I have no idea if its the ones you are looking for. Bob
The Wabco air disc brakes we have are Maxx22T's-I did find 14 sets of 640-322-934-2 OEM Wabco pads in Michigan. Haldex does make them but there are none to be had in DC's or stores. But thanks for Checking-Bob.
your welcome I was waiting at the counter for the parts thing to find my order and read the sale paper and noticed they had truck brake pads on sale. Bob
Parts guys at Deere dealer are telling customers not to drain the oil until you have the replacement filter in hand. It seems its the glue for the ends of the paper element that is in short supply.
I'd be curious how many parts the supply has dropped causing the problem, or if it's more demand is up causing the shortage, and only getting worse from people thinking there is a shortage and hoarding stuff. Haven't found anything I needed that I can't, other then a Hilti cut off saw I was considering, just lots of stuff like wood and steel going stupid in price. Coupler for mini hoe jumped from feb to june by 20%.
In fairness, that is common sense at ANY point. I have never nor would I ever pull a filter without having a replacement in hand.
We have two P+D trucks and a telephone company truck sitting in the yard waiting for parts. One is an International that's been sitting for two weeks with an ISB that needs a turbo actuator. There is non to be had. A Freightliner M2 with an ISB that needs an exhaust manifold that is on back-order for a couple weeks now. A Kenworth K300 showed up yesterday with the hydraulic line from the steering gear to the brake booster leaking at the crimp. Not something a hydraulic shop can make and none to be had anywhere.
Def pumps. We have two setting waiting for Def pumps, on back order. like everything else.
Cast brake drums went from $92.00 to $140.00. DOT will have plenty to do, junk reused drums/brake components will be common.
I've had to do some creative repairs on stuff that I couldn't get a ship date on parts. @ TS see if you can repair the DEF pumps, nothing to loose by taking them apart, I've had to jury rig some "non serviceable components" lately.
The DEF pimps are non serviceable. I tried that route, the other problem is so many updates to that part number. Plus most all of ours are on warranty.
"Borrow" parts from warranty trucks to keep others running as warranty claims take priority over service part claims?
Then what you have is a bunch of rat picked trucks, and the problem with that is labor to remove then install, plus labor for installation on the rat picked truck. Plus with some of the connections you don't want to remove items more than needed because the connections become loose or brittle. Better off to wait it out, because some parts are not compatible even on ones built a year apart.
Trailer needed a brake shoe wasn't worn much at all but coming apart, none in stock had to get it re-lined done in a few hours at least. New would be better but no choice, who's going to let a trailer sit for a dahm shoe?
All the DEF "pimps" are in Washington DC I know what your saying, it is sad that probably one out of ten new trucks under warranty is sitting waiting for part or repair
Feel for you guys in places where all that emissions crap can't just fall off.
I just delivered back to the owner one of two new New Holland skid steer loaders with defective DEF pumps today. Hauled them in last week. One had a cracked pump, the other won't cease dosing the engine. I don't know which I delivered today as they are the same series units. No problem getting the pumps through CNH.
Talked to my Cummins guy today and he said a sensor in the after system is not available so the fix is reprogram the ECM to ignore the sensor . Bob
That's true with Cummins-Detroit not yet.
Spoke to a old hand I worked with years ago last weekend, he works for a RV dealer now, they are given coding to Bypass ECM sensor inputs and how to defeat DPF systems by the Engine Mfr's to "Get a RV'r back home when experience a Road Failure and no parts". Wonder how many will actually get these restored to functional after do get home? He was amazed EPA was not IN their shop throwing fines but NADA so far.
I've got two customers that have pickups under warranty (less than 12 months old) that are at the dealer waiting for parts (4 to 6 weeks) driving my clapped out 1/2 tons (i normally drive back and forth to save on fuel). Has me feeding my 1 ton stupid money back and forth. Funny thing is when I offered the one that I just rebuilt the trans (6L80 that only got a 50 mile test drive) asked if it was reliable? I tool him I do not know but it will go over 5 MPH!
Hey Truck Shop, where do you get KW style huck bolts and collors? The magna grip ones. I need to refill my stock pile. Thanks, Steve
Dean Lewis & Associates-Vancouver Wa, 360-693-6211.
Thanks, TS.
Was at my Deere construction dealer last week, and the parts wizard said that things were mostly ok with filters, fluids and such. Still, I keep one set of replacements on the shelf so I have the service interval of time to find the next set. It’s apparently getting slightly better.
One thing I have learned of late is, just because that was true last week does not have any bearing on what will happen this week.
Counterman at Freightliner dealership said yesterday brake drums are becoming difficult to source. It seems Ukraine supplied many of the aftermarket drums.