Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Truck tires

Truck Shop · 2021-07-14 20:39

Below are the major tire brands and models I run on company trucks. Toyo M122 trailer tire works well on three axle trailer. Yokohama RY023 tag and trailer. As a tag it works better than most at 255/75. As a 295/75 for trailer works real well on three axle trailers. Firestone 591's for steer average mileage 90 to 100,000 miles. Yokohama 527 drive average 145 to 155,000 miles. Double Coin RBL400 drive average 160,000 miles on four axle tractor, 190,000 on 3 axle tractor. I post these because the biggest expense is tires and fuel. These are the best for us given the 32nd's and price.

Replies9
  1. #1Truck Shop2021-07-14 20:40
  2. #2Aarons812021-07-14 21:03

    Any suggestions for trash/ roll off trucks and flat tires from jobsites or the dump? Also was wondering what your thoughts were on the liquid puncture sealant.

  3. #3Truck Shop2021-07-14 21:23

    Trash roll off trucks just get hammered as far as tires go. Maybe short run trucks with using sealant but no OTR.

  4. #4Junkyard2021-07-14 22:36

    I’ve always had good luck with the RY023’s on my lowboy and the 4th axle on the truck. I discovered another Yokohama all position tire that is badass on my lowboy. I do a lot of scrub and tight turns, have to jump a curb now and then, gravel roads yada yada. MY507 is what they are. Kinda have a drive tire look to them but they are awesome. In the 9 years I’ve run this lowboy, pushing 300k miles, they’re the only tire I’ve worn out. No weird wear, no sidewalk gashes, no patches or plugs. Just flat wore them out. The first and fourth axle spend as much time sideways as it goes rolling down the road it seems like. They just hold up awesome.

  5. #5Truck Shop2021-07-15 07:36

    The RY023 does real well on three plus axle trailers, takes the side scrubbing from tight turns on asphalt.

  6. #6Old Doug2021-07-15 08:24

    Do you guys inside tires wear funny ? I blame it on the rutted highways. I had a deal happen i was at the scrapyard with my f600 backing up to dump when i heard a bad air leak i though i just cut a tire on something i started to pull back up when i look forwards i saw a trailer about 200' away that they were working on the brakes they had caused a air leak some how. I was going to use the f600 yesterday it has a inside tire flat its not to bad because i aired it up and it stayed up for the 12 mile trip. I have been lucky i think i have hauled with it 5 years and this is the first flat.

  7. #7Truck Shop2021-07-15 09:05

    Some of it is highway and most of it is poor quality casings. The biggest factor is the oldest one-inflation. Some tires never do well for the simple fact psi is never checked on a regular basis.

  8. #8Old Doug2021-07-15 10:34

    I couldnt say what tires last better because the drivers get to pick what they want and like most drivers their never happy so they pick a diffrent brand about every time.

  9. #9Truck Shop2021-07-15 13:59

    Ain't that the truth. Around here I do the tire pick'in. When they start paying for them they can do the pick'in.