Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Patching storage container?

Speedpup ยท 2011-07-13 13:43

I have a few 40 sea containers to patch that are loaded with scaffolding. Two are flat top and one is ribbed type. Flat I took some aluminum and rolled out and silicone with screws. Few edges lifted after few years and water is trapped between. I need to remove it now. Weld new plate on them and paint them again. PITA on ribbed one I am guessing? Lay some fiberglass on metal ribbed one? If it doesn't stick good pop off when hard and put back with sealant as it will be the perfect shape. Glass and epoxy resin stick to fairly cleaned (wire wheeled metal)? Fiberglass idea is appealing to me even though I never tried it. No welder, no torch, no metal, just paint brush, resin, and glass mat. Any previous experience is welcome! thanks

Replies14
  1. #1stock2011-07-15 17:15

    Why not look at using torch on roof felt?

  2. #2CM19952011-07-15 21:05

    My suggestion would be to take off the aluminum sheets and screws down to the original metal. Then coat it with Kool Seal . This is the product they use on mobile homes and offices to coat the roofs. It may take two coats to seal them up but from my experience it's a pretty good product. It would probably be the least expensive option, labor and material wise.

  3. #3barklee2011-07-15 22:29

    If you go to your local Sherwin Williams they sell a product made by Uniflex. They make a complete fluid applied roof coating system for metal roofs that will certainly work for your application. Wire wheel all the rust, treat with a metal primer (Sherwin Willians Kem Kromic). Then use the Uniflex patching material and Uniflex mesh to repair the holes and misc damage. Then you will top coat everything with their Top coat material two coats. That will last you 10 years. Or you could have someone shoot urethane foam over the whole box and then top coat with uniflex or similar. That would be a bit more money but would last longer. The cheapest thing would be to patch all the holes with plastic roof cement and cotton mesh 9" (two layers of mesh). Then top coat the whole box with 2 pound fibered aluminum, Henry makes a good product. You can get all these items at Homedepot, Lowes, or Tractor supply. That will last 5-7 years...... I should also say that you should use a piece of sheet metal screwed down to back all the larger holes!!!!

  4. #4muzy2011-07-16 00:07

    Have seen leaky roofs on buldings shot with spray foam. It could fill all your voids and give shape to shed water. muzy

  5. #5lectro882011-07-16 23:43

    Kool seal, and I call it fibered asphalt, supplemented with fiber mesh. Your local homeless depot and lowe life home supply has all sizes from 1 gallon or less to 5 gallon quantities. Roofing rubber membrane. Comes in black and white that is cooler. Now that urethane is also good stuff. Silicone is only a band aid. It will come off eventually. (just ask a commercial roofer) Hope this helps.

  6. #6alco2011-07-17 14:45

    I wonder if using a spray in bowline like gator guard or a similar product would work to seal the whole works up after the large holes were patched with something.

  7. #7Speedpup2011-07-19 11:40

    trying to locate a dealer which seems real hard. thanks

  8. #8OldandWorn2011-07-19 14:13

    I think that is the same product that lectro88 mentioned. I searched my area and all of the local hardware stores plus Lowes has it.

  9. #9CM19952011-07-19 19:31

    That's what I was going to say - I think Lowes and HD both carry it.

  10. #10Speedpup2011-07-21 22:02

    Lowes stop carrying it. HD said no and Sherwin Williams store by me said no. Sherwin Williams owns the company so that is wrong but I could not make the guy order what he could not find.. I ordered some in local Do It Best hardware store up the block. I should have it this weekend. Keep you posted!n thanks!

  11. #11lectro882011-07-22 22:57

    Wow. I'm shocked they didn't have it. Last I knew it was over around concrete mix, block, gable fans, etc. Do they still have the roof boots that go around roof vent pipes and flashing cause it all goes hand in hand.

  12. #12Speedpup2011-07-29 08:49

    Yes.

  13. #13DirtIsMyName2011-07-29 09:32

    Welding on the ribbed one isn't so bad. You tack it down, conform it with a hammer, tack it down, conform it with a hammer. With a little planning it goes smoothly. It is labor intensive and if you find more leaks than you expected it could be a long way to the other end of the job. I did one like that about 15 years ago and the patches are still good. I priced another container recently and they wanted $3K, plus taxes and delivery.

  14. #14Speedpup2011-07-30 22:15

    Did some today. I wire wheeled and did some grinding on the rust and it did the trick. Few holes in the ribbed container. I just cut some of the net tape kool seal sells and did 3-4 layers with there patching cement which takes about 60 seconds per hole! Primed the rusted areas and then coated those areas with Kool Seal. Next week I'll coat the entire roofs of two 40' containers and one 20' container. I also did the seams on an office trailer covered in galvanized sheet steel. Will do the entire roof of that too. If it last 5-6 years I'll be happy. Easy to apply no bad smell and easy clean up. Thanks all for the help!