What are yall using to glue down cap blocks on retaining walls, specifically those used as stair treads? I've been using SEK Surebond SB-10 Paver Bond Adhesive which is what the masonry supply house carries with only mixed results. We built some nice Allan Block stairs and wall down at the lake last summer and several steps have come loose. Several came loose immediately and we re-glued them, now the homeowner has found several more that are loose. Blocks were completely clean and dry when it was applied.
Lepage PL-Premium
its available everywhere
LePage PL Premium ${product.short.description} www.lepage.ca
I have good results using just Liquid Nails but I have done walls with caps using PL500 that came out in one piece when I had to tear it up 10 years later with an excavator. Loctite PL 500 10 oz. Landscape Block Adhesive (2-Pack) 1683231 - The Home Depot Perform all your brick, concrete, stone, metal and timbers works at ease by choosing this Loctite VOC Landscape Block Adhesive. www.homedepot.com PS. You’re supposed to have the blocks slightly damp, I use a wall paper brush dipped in clean water, to wet the block lightly before you glue it, so the water draws the adhesive into the small holes as it dries.
As a Professional Hardscape Contractor we have had great results using Loctite PL500 available at places like Home Depot. It's best to have dry caps/treads/pavers and base blocks, and install on a dry day. All I do is brush/blow debris off and use a standard caulking gun. I go pretty heavy on the glue. Once the step or cap is in place, I will often place some heavy concrete blocks on top so they don't drift. Don't go near the edges with the glue as it does spread out. If you don't put weight on top, I've come back the next day and seen my corner caps or stair tread move a bit. Allow to dry for 24 hours. To remove old steps or cap or glue, or if your not happy with the glue job, use a brick chisel with a 2.5/3lb sledge hammer under the cap or tread. It should pop off after a bit of hammering. Grind off the old glue with a 4.5" size Lithium powered angle grinder with masonry wheel (Like DIABLO 4-1/2 in. Diamond Cup Wheel for Masonry DMACW0450 at Home Depot). That tool and wheel is also great to knock off and smooth off rough edges.
THATS a lot of block.!! I’ll bet after about 4 Advil, the team slept like babies..
Ok thanks for the replies. I'll give the Loctite PL500 a try.
Ok, sorry all. The model DIABLO DMACW0450 is not the right one or style. The style you want is the type below in the attached image. Even the cheap ones last a super long time. You can use the 4" or the 4.5" on your grinder. I have two of the Milwaukee 18V 4" angle grinders. One is smaller and works great for touch up. The other has a lot of power and quick stop. Good for long grinding work and bigger cuts.
It's dry cut with a face mask. Milwaukee hand held small 18V leaf blower also can remove concrete dust and dirt debris away.
Peter, something seems off with you. We are talking about glue for paver caps, not trying to sell Milwaukee cordless grinders. You savy?
Well surface prep is a big deal for good adhesion, so grinding off high spots, defects, or old glue is a big deal.
I didn’t realize you were talking about prep before regluing. I apologize.
Yeah, he's going to need to grind off the old glue under the cap/tread, and on the block. Then apply a real thick bead of the PL500
My experience with the old glue I've been using is either it sticks or not at all. IDK if it was old stock, poor QC or what. On the caps that have come loose the remaining glue bead pulls right off by hand leaving nothing behind. I do have have a cordless grinder and diamond cup wheel if needed.
Regarding the PL500, I do a perimeter 1/4- 1/2" very thick bead about 1.5" in from the edges, and then some zig zagging in the middle for corners, and stair treads. Otherwise just some zig zagging in the middle of caps. I buy the larger caulking tubes and go through several tubes in most jobs. Every once in awhile the tubes screw up and don't pump out the nozzle and blow out the back or something and make a real mess of the caulking gun and the whole tube ends up wasted. So I always buy way more than enough and return what I don't use and I keep multiple caulking guns in my Job box.