Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

PC 300-8 Opinions

muff ยท 2010-03-20 18:11

I need some input on Komatsu pc300-8. I thought I was going to trade my Deere 330LC on a 350DLC, but now the Komatsu has come into the picture. I have little or no experience with Komatsu's except for the fact that some of my subs have them and seem to like them, but they all run older ones, smaller ones, etc. Any personal feedback anyone has on the pc300-8's would be very helpful. At this point price, hours, condition, and options between the 350D and the 300-8 are identical.

Replies15
  1. #1John C.2010-03-20 19:29

    Dash 5 was great, Dash 6 not so much. Dash 7 had the newer electronics but still had too small of an engine. I don't know which engine is in the Dash 8 now days. There aren't that many around here yet. Dash 6 and 7 had a Cummins 6BT when they should have had an M11 Cummins. Torque curves are not high enough and the engine looses RPM as the load is applied. The pump slows down and so does the output. Circle bearings were a big problem when they built the excavators into loggers on all PC300 series machines. Excavators did not see as many issues in that area. Good Luck!

  2. #2MrKomatsu2010-03-20 22:35

    John get ur frealin facts right................

  3. #3MrKomatsu2010-03-20 22:45

    Muff....Some people don't care for the Komatsu line...I have worked around the Komatsu line for many many years...Komatsu has come a long way in the earth moving products...That is why Cat is so pised......no one can meet or beat the Komatsu hydralic systems.......as for the engines again you cant go wrong.......Don't mind the comments of the Komatsu haters....I,m sure your local dealer will let you demo a unit......you can call me if you have any concerns....281-732-6719...:usa

  4. #4John C.2010-03-21 02:10

    You know Edward I'm thinking your right about the engines. They put Cummins C engines in the 300s and not Bs. I still stand by what I said though. They were too small and the machine turned into a slug with poor engine life and machine performance. The L10 / M11 would have kept that model of machine the top of the industry. Instead a poor decision lessoned its potential. The Dash 5 had the Komatsu 95 series engines which were bullet proof and a big part of the reason Komatsu is where it is now. As far as Komatsu hater, I started working on the line in 1986. They have many world beater models. I just don't think the PC300 is one of them and I have plenty of time on them to back that statement up.

  5. #5RDG2010-03-21 04:36

    The outfit Im with here in Oz just bought a 300-8 just before xmas, has'nt done to many hrs yet but weve had good runs out of 300-6s & 7s . Also have 2x 330 zaxis Hitachis which also give a good run, but down ere Komatsu probably have the better parts and service back up. Cheers RDG.

  6. #6Acivil2010-03-21 13:05

    350 D or Zaxis 350 is an incredible machine.... My operators cycle a good bit faster on a 350 than a PC 300, but the Komatsu is an amazing machine too. I would strongly consider service and support, but at least no matter which one you go with you can rest assured you have one of the best machines in production.

  7. #7muff2010-03-21 16:39

    Thanks for all of the input so far. Please keep it coming.

  8. #8Deereguy2010-03-21 17:15

    Pc300-8 Muff: the 350D will out produce the PC300-8. -8's are pretty good machines but I find them to be jumpy on the controls. Don't like the long control levers in the PC's feels like rowing a boat. The 350D is a fast smooth machine with a ton of arm power. The 350D is very quiet with the hydraulic proportional fan. The 9 liter Deere engine is solid and you can work on a 1 to 1 slope. The PC's use a Komatsu Cummins hybrid engine that is a good motor. Support is a criticle question in my book. For the same money-hands down Deere!

  9. #9D1552010-03-21 21:25

    This is where you'll get thh fanboys coming out of the woodwork. I'd really look at dealer support. I work for a Komatsu dealer. But I will tell you that I don't think you would go wrong with either machine, even though the the Deere is a Deertachi.

  10. #10muff2010-03-22 12:03

    D155, I hear you about dealer support, however I will be using the machine in a remote area out west, and the closest dealers are 100 miles away. Both companies have service guys that live in a town 20 miles away. Hopefully that will help. I am really getting the sense that I will be happy either way, just wanted to get some more input. Thanks.

  11. #11purerocklandsca2010-04-13 21:55

    how about the old pc 200 -3000 i have a chance to buy one for three thousand prestone going in the oil only showing 6200 hrs for 3000 bucks with two buckets

  12. #12purerocklandsca2010-04-13 22:02

    3000 for a PC 200-3. need to make three posts to start a new thread apparently

  13. #13purerocklandsca2010-04-13 22:07

    PC 200-3 for 3000 how are these machines???? reliable? serial number is 28002 if i could get some information on it that would be perfect

  14. #14John C.2010-04-14 00:15

    You are asking about general problems in a machine that is at least twenty years old? I would suspect the pump is worn out, the control valves are sloppy and creating heat if they are not broken. Hoses would be bleeding through the outer covers and O rings leaking everywhere. The pumps can be adjusted for performance but I have not found a way to repair valve problems. The spools tended to leak by and cylinders would bleed down if there was any weight on them. All this isn't so bad though because every other machine built in that era will do the same. Good Luck!

  15. #15purerocklandsca2010-04-14 07:55

    that old PC 200-3 all the cylinders seem to be fine and the owner was using if up until last fall when he heated it and realized prestone was going into the oil, but there are no oil leaks anywhere on the thing. We couldn't figure out how the cylinders weren't all covered in oil but they're all dry. Bit of a cat in the bag but we'll see how she goes when we finally pick it up