Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

PC 75uu2 Remove final drive cover

coastlogger ยท 2017-02-06 21:19

Cover on final drive(tracks) has been leaking for years. Trying to fix it. Cannot figure out how to remove cover to replace o ring. There is a snap ring, round, doesnt appear to have a gap. Ive made a jig so I can push in on cover,the snap ring seems loose but I cannot get a tool behind it to pop it out?Youd think thered be a gap in casting to get a tool in behind ring but no. Am I missing something here?

Replies12
  1. #1lantraxco2017-02-07 10:52

    Is there a plug on the OD of the hub you can remove to get at the end of the lock ring? If so, pick the end of the ring out and spin the cover to remove the ring.

  2. #2Bls repair2017-02-07 12:54

    If it is like ours, there is a wire holding it on. You grab the wire and turn the cover to get it out. If I remember right there is a plug covering the wire . You will need new wire to put it back together. It is a REAL PAIN IN THE *** to put it back together.

  3. #3drsparke2017-02-08 15:47

    I've ended up having to break the wire in two were the plug comes out and then pulling the two pieces out.

  4. #4coastlogger2017-02-09 13:11

    I ended up dremeling the lockring into 2 pieces. Got it out easily then. Next time I think Id drill a small hole in from outside and punch one end of ring inward that way which should allow one to get a tool under it and rotate it out.Havent got new parts yet. I did make a jig to push inward on cover so hoping reassembly will go ok.Trying to decide whether to grease the o ring or coat whole mating area with ultrablue in order to best achieve no leaking in future. Could really do without ever having to tackle this one again.Any thoughts out there. And thanks all for your replies to date on this .

  5. #5coastlogger2017-02-09 13:14

    Oh yes and the ring does have a gap I eventually located it but was unable to get one end up far enough to get a tool under it.Thats when the dremelling started. New ring $130 Canadian plus $70 for o ring.

  6. #6Bls repair2017-02-09 13:16

    Have you tried YouTube to see if you can find video?

  7. #7John Shipp2017-04-06 02:10

    Coastlogger, have you had success getting it back together yet? I have to do one and have been delaying it too long...

  8. #8Tones2017-04-06 16:25

    If the ends are not near the plugs, drill a 3mm hole into the grove near where the ends are . Using a small drift knock the wire out. It still a pain in the *** to do though.

  9. #9John Shipp2017-04-07 02:05

    Is it necessary to push plate inwards while knocking wire out?

  10. #10Tones2017-04-07 07:37

    It help's alot but still a barstard of a job bear in mind I have only done it 4 time's If it has the steel button in the centre be real careful on assembly that it doesn't drop into the hub. The O ring on the outer plate should replaced also

  11. #11John Shipp2017-04-07 08:43

    It's the o ring that I'm going in there for... Cheers Tones.

  12. #12John Shipp2017-04-07 08:47

    Might try changing the o ring on the drain plug first, and align the cover slightly (with hammer and drift) with the plug hole shamfer on the hub. As I notice it doesn't line up well and the oil appears near the plug after I clean it, before becoming an all round oily edge. Just to put off wrestling with a $100 piece of wire for a little while longer...