Hi folks, Got a 2008 pc130-8 and noticed some oil coming out the breather pipe when I was loading it. Is there anything I can check for on the engine or anything simple on these engines before I take it that it will need a new set of piston rings and a liner where the ring has broke down. The engine starts, runs and works a treat but this breathing isn’t bad bad but there is pressure there and a few drops of oil out the pipe. Anyone any thoughts on the issue? Thanks Mark
If it's not too bad and breathing heavy its normal, of it spews like a steam train it'll be broken rings that these were notorious for
Can this issue be solved with just new rings on the pistons? It isn’t that bad it just has abit of pressure coming out the pipe but it isn’t a steam train by any means. If it’s working hard it just has a faint smoke out of it but the rest of our machines don’t breathe that’s why I was affraid it might be something serious. Can new rings sort it or will it need the block repairing with liners?
You can put some diaper below it to catch and see how much oil is coming out. You can monitor it, but when someone with lots of experience sees it they will be able to tell when it needs the head off. There is no way of knowing if you will need liners and pistons till you open it up. Be prepared for either scenario. It all depends also on how many hours are on it, don't want to fix and re-fix. Simon C
The engine has 6600 on it. Does this engine have liners or is it just a block? I don’t think it has the broken piston rings but I’ve not got another machine what breathes at all.
Have worked on too many kinds to remember, but will tell you that Komatsu had some with liners, some it is a machine shop job to cut the block and press in a new liner. Some liners can be honed and piston oversized. Your liners may be fine or not so. No crystal ball to know. Monitor first to see how much oil is coming out. Rev the motor up and see how much it huffs under load like boom to the top over relief for 10 seconds. Talking with engine at full operating temperature. Simon C
I like the digger, it’s nice to be in all day and smooth to drive. It put like a small patch on the floor about 2inch round in about a minute while working. But I’ve serviced it and had it running for 10 mins and nothing coming out at the min just breathing but it’s only faint. There is abit of pressure there though if I put my hand on the pipe and block it I can feel it trying to blow my hand off after about 5 seconds
Problem is that when the engines are huffing out oil vapour, it will eventually end up in radiators and plug solid with dust. Simon C
I don't know newer Komatsus at all really but being a 2008 wouldn't it also have DPF/EGR? Blow by will a lot of times lead to severely reduced aftertreatment life. Can you snap a picture of the end of the tube while running or zip tie an empty soup can to the end of the tube and see how much oil there actually is after an 8 hour shift. Have you been having to add oil to the machine between service intervals? If so, how much?
All engines have blow by crankcase pressure. Unless you have engine power problem or severe oil loss out of the breather hose.............I wouldn't worry about it.
Phone any Komatsu Dealer with your serial number, and they will tell you if it has normal liners or a machine shop press job or honeable liners for oversize pistons. But if it ain't making a big mess yet, keep her running and watch the oil level. Simon C
If it hasn't blown the engine oil filler cap off yet they probs aren't that broken, you need to do a full hydraulic stall and see how bad it's coming out, Komatsu has a spec so you could get them out to do a blow by checker as to bring the blow by checker tool out. They aren't a lined block either, parent bore.