I've finally gotten around to trying to deal with the regularly drained batteries on my PC160LC-7. Reading previous posts here, I used an ammeter to determine that the machine is drawing 5amps when the key is in the off position. Going through all the fuses, I was able to determine that the current draw is on the #17 circuit which is called "MONITOR, CONTROLLER" -- pulled that fuse and current draw drops to 150ma. But that is the circuit that powers the main dashboard controller. The machine works well. Other that putting in a manual cut-off switch either at the battery, or on the controller circuit, is there anything I can do to try to fix this? I would rather not start off by spending $1k on a new controller, without even knowing if the controller is broken. Thank you!
I'd fit a manual cut-off switch
After I verified that the batteries are in good shape. If reserve capacity is compromised, it won't tolerate extended shut down time. Don't disregard the potential for a failing rectifier. I've seen more than one cause guys to lose their minds.
On the main battery leads or the controller circuit?
Where would I find the rectifier? On the alternator? Could that show itself as a 5 amp drawn with the key off?
Interrupt the ground cable to frame. As shown
Possibly since your hourmeter is integrated into the instrument panel. It could be draining finding ground through the hourmeter. Disconnect the tiny wire at the alternator, see if that affects the draw. Also make sure the alternator isn't creating heat.
5 amps is 60 watts at 12v or 120w at 24V, that will show up as heat if the rest of the machine is cold. So charge the batteries with the ground disconnected, then hook the ground up with the machine cold and leave the charger on, it shouldn't be too hard to find the heat after ten minutes or so if you do it on a cool morning.
I have a Flir infrared camera and looked all over but saw no heat. I didn't follow your procedure of charging with the negative disconnected, but the battery has sufficient charge to start the engine (used it a bit yesterday). I'll try again on a colder morning. I don't see a tiny wire on the alternator. What does that wire do and where would I find it? Thank you!
How regularly are the batteries drained? I'd think they'd be drained overnight with 5 amp, makes me wonder if the 5amp draw goes away after a few minutes or something? or is intermittent. I'd sure think you'd see a 60W heating element after several minutes. Maybe time for a battery disconnect.