Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

PC200 – how to move undercarrage with hydraulic lines removed?

SPG ยท 2013-08-16 13:48

As my rotex replacement project approaches, I was hoping someone could clarify what I need to do to get the lower half of the excavator to roll away from the upper half. I have been told I may need to remove a shaft from the final drives, while I had assumed that disconnecting the hydraulic lines would allow the finals to freewheel. What is the proper/ideal procedure? Thanks! -Sean

Replies6
  1. #1Huntoon2013-08-16 15:55

    Final drives in excavators have a negative spring applied brake that is released by applying a pressure of at least 10-30 bar usually. That's why they won't move without hyd pressure. However, like you said, you can usually remove the shaft the runs in the center of the gearbox.

  2. #2Huntoon2013-08-16 16:02

    This may help some:

  3. #3SPG2013-08-16 16:12

    Thanks for the info. Is it fair to assume that draining, removing the cover plate, and sliding the shafts out is a straightforward operation? Nothing is going to jump out of position and make reassembly on the machine difficult?

  4. #4Huntoon2013-08-16 17:15

    SPG... That is my correct, though I have never done it on this drive before.

  5. #5caterpillarmech2013-08-17 06:29

    Some of the excavators I did fell apart when pulling the cover. I took one of the bolts and cut just the head off. Cut a groove in it for a flat tip screwdriver and reinstall it on the top side. The bolt will hold it all in place when you pull the cap off.

  6. #6jey_c2013-08-17 07:29

    Removing the center shaft is better