Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Pc210-10 raw fuel white smoke

Johnsjs2 · 2025-12-17 20:06

I have a pc210-10 that is white smoking and smells like raw fuel, it smokes heavily for the first 10 minutes of running and has a fuel knock then reduces to a light haze. I checked compression on the cylinders and had approximately 450 psi of compression, had head cleaned and valves replaced because of damage to valve seats and soot build up, and replaced the injectors and the problem is still around. Rail pressure matches desired and I ran it with the dpf disconnected to rule out any contamination in the dpf. It now is throwing ca2387 kvgt error code, I plan to clean the oil screens and run it but my question is would that cause the smoke. I would understand if it was black smoking under a load or something like that but it’s the raw fuel smoke even at idle and I can’t imagine the turbo causing that. Any ideas because I’m stumped.

Replies16
  1. #1Simon C2025-12-17 22:08

    I have a list and manual for Dash 8 machines, but your code is not in it. Maybe someone else will chime in who has some info on it. Simon C

  2. #2Universal Parts2025-12-18 01:06

    This error code indicates an abnormal turbocharger speed, which likely indicates a problem with the turbocharger.

  3. #3Johnsjs22025-12-18 12:37

    Are you sure that’s the case? I have the shop manual for my machine and the code was described as the kvgt position sensor reading a different position than the valve position.

  4. #4Simon C2025-12-18 12:41

    I'm not sure but is the KVGT Position Sensor part of the turbo. Seem to recall something like that. Could be wrong. Simon C

  5. #5Gary Layton2025-12-18 14:33

    I have never heard of kvgt...but AI gave me this: A KVGT Position Sensor is a critical part of a Variable Geometry Turbocharger (VGT) system (often Komatsu Vehicle Geometry Turbocharger ), monitoring the actual opening of the turbo's vanes so the engine computer (ECU) can match it to the command; when the sensor signal mismatches the command, it causes errors (like code CA2387), reduced engine power, and issues with diesel particulate filter (DPF) regeneration, pointing to problems with the sensor, VGT actuator, oil supply, or the controller itself.

  6. #6Simon C2025-12-18 17:27

    They have the same thing on Cummins ISX-15 engines I believe, and since Komatsu and Cummins have worked together for so many years it would only make sense. I believe those VGT systems have to be calibrated at some time. I seem to recall seeing a video on it. Simon C

  7. #7funwithfuel2025-12-18 19:55

    First, you have a faulty fuel injector. One or more injectors are leaking down into a cylinder, likely filling the combustion bowl in the piston crown. The knock is fuel knock, heavy white rich smoke is that hole slowly burning the puddle of fuel on the crown. Your error, likely has nothing to do with your concern. Odds are you will need a reman turbo, however, there are things you can do to perhaps turn things around. Your VGT is a hydraulic slave to a pwm valve integral to your EGR valve. Follow the stainless braided hoses off the turbo back to the EGR valve. There's a steel pipe feeding the bottom end. Unfasten the pipe. Remove the fitting from the valve, inside the valve is a coin filter. 5 or 6 mm iirc. Take out the filter. Clean with brake cleaner or ether and blow dry. Reassemble everything, now take the big flat block off the topic the turbo, the piece the stainless lines are attached to. Beneath the block are 2 additional coin filters. Same thing, clean, dry and reassemble. DO NOT START IT YET! Service the engine with a quality oil and factory filters. Now you can start it and let her run. This is like 20-25% effective at best. But maintenance is never a waste, and if it works, you're ahead of the game. On a side note, while Komatsu and Cummins share a lot. The KVGT is unique in that it's hydraulically operated . Good luck

  8. #8Johnsjs22025-12-18 20:00

    Hi thank you for the reply, the motor does have a brand new set of Bosch injectors in it and I attempted a cylinder cut out test to see if any specific cylinder was smoking and didn’t have any luck it appears they are all smoking. I did clean out the 3 screens today and changed the oil. It made the vgt better and it now sometimes works but other times the vgt rapidly cycles. This should rule out a mechanical problem with the vgt but I’m going to test the oil pressure going from the booster pump to the egr valve and see what the results are. As far as the smoke im at a loss, it is now periodically getting worse then better again while running, it will sometimes randomly fuel knock and shoot a large puff of smoke after running for awhile. Rail pressure desired and actual are still matching.

  9. #9funwithfuel2025-12-18 20:03

    Remove and inspect the inlet metering valve. It is a dinky little pwm valve with 3 tiny torx screws holding it to the fuel pump. See if that screen is either full of trash or rust. Fingers crossed that it's clean.

  10. #10Simon C2025-12-18 20:03

    Thanks for the explanation and what can be done to clean the filters. Handy to know some simple checks. Simon C

  11. #11Johnsjs22025-12-18 20:08

    Sounds good I will check that, I know it doesnt rule out the mechanical side but I had thought of the imv and watched in it the monitor current and command current were matching. Now with my rail pressure matching desired wouldn’t that rule out the imv or is it possible it’s causing rapid changes faster than the monitor can display? Or am I more or less checking the screen on the imv to get an idea of the injection pump health?

  12. #12funwithfuel2025-12-18 20:18

    Ok, let's back up. KVGT error is or is not still active? Let's monitor exhaust back pressure and MAF at key on, engine off. At idle, then at full throttle. Then at full throttle apply the swing lock and swing left or right. Hold it over relief. Let it stabilize . Observe those values, do either drop out or swing wildly? Let's see what you find. Obviously you know how to get into service and pick parameters to monitor.

  13. #13funwithfuel2025-12-18 20:25

    If it's flowing desired, it should be ok.if the mA are swinging wildly to maintain desired, we could have issue. The upside, you have no hunting to establish rail, so your safety valve and seat should be ok. Remember all functions are dictated by inputs. If MAF isn't matching what it wants , it tries to correct, same with rail pressure. That's why we want to see these values static, active and under load. EBP & MAF are two commonly overlooked but important values. Also, check and verify that your CAC and piping are not compromised anywhere.

  14. #14Johnsjs22025-12-18 20:29

    Kvgt error is now intermittent, the Vgt position is no longer stuck at 0mm. It does however intermittently sweep between approximately 6mm and 2mm sounds like a helicopter. It threw the kvgt error code once in the time I ran today. Turned the machine off and back on and it didn’t come back. The vanes themselves are not seized. I can get those parameters for you. I did check some today. Key on engine off Exhaust back pressure 1.03 kg/cm Charge pressure 1.01 kg/cm Engine idle Exhaust back pressure 1.2 kg/cm to 3 kg/cm (varies with Vgt vane position as the vanes rapidly sweep the back pressure changes with it.) Charge pressure 1.1 kg/cm MAF 4kg/m Engine high idle no load Maf 6kg/m Engine high idle curl relief pressure Charge pressure 1.3 kg/cm Exhaust back pressure don’t remember exact figure but varying wildly like at idle in sync with vgt vane cycling. Those are all the parameters I remember off my head I’ll fill in the missing tomorrow.

  15. #15Johnsjs22025-12-18 20:35

    https://share.icloud.com/photos/03ciH2uQGZSPefAaG2R1zP2pA There’s a video link I have from today of the vgt freaking out. You can see the boot on the egr cooler pipe expanding.

  16. #16Johnsjs22025-12-18 20:41

    I also just want to say thank you for taking the time to reply. Before I started operating equipment for myself I worked as a mechanic and I’ve spent a lot of time troubleshooting this machine and talking to everyone I know including komastu techs and everyone has been at a loss. This post was kinda a last ditch effort and any new input is beyond helpful.