Does anyone know where to get parts for a DIY rebuild of traction motors? All I see online are rebuild services but no kits.
Have you considered this outfit. I don't know if they are still around.
There is no such thing as rebuild kits for piston type motors from Komatsu. All parts have to be ordered individually. Your machine is likely not that old so parts should be available from a Komatsu dealer.
These traction assembly's aren't necessarily confined to one manufacturer. Hi Dash, Nabtesco and Kyabana make these for a multitude of machine manufacturers and not just excavators either, skidsteer loaders also use them for example. Hitachi, Komatsu ,Kobelco dealers will only sell a complete assembly at a stupidly high price and won't entertain the idea of rebuilding them. That has opened up a market for others to repair them using OEM parts for about one third the price. All that I have written here comes for personal experience.
I know what you are saying but I don't know of anyone supplying parts in the states that don't come from South Korea or China. I also don't know who makes the Komatsu motors for the mini excavators. If you don't do them all the time and don't know the parts suppliers for the original motors, your chances of successfully rebuilding one are pretty slim.
Travel Motors Direct here in Australia and New Zealand is an example and I have dealt with. They have parts on the shelf for the DIYers or have an in-house reman service with warranty... Komatsu use the brand names I mentioned above.
I'm not disagreeing with you about other suppliers. I'm saying that people in the states have little access to those suppliers here and unless you put your hands on this stuff everyday, you have little chance of getting those parts or being able to teardown, inspect, assess parts, source new parts and reassemble the component. Do you know who manufacturers the motors for the Komatsu PC27-8?
I'll make a call later today and get back to you.
I have just been talking to Travel Motors Direct https://travelmotorsdirect.com.au/ They will need the machine serial number match the parts. They don't use Korean or Chinese parts. Murray is happy to supply if you contact them directly.
Do you know of anyone in the US that can identify the motor?
Unfortunately no.