I picked up this excavator about a year ago and been really struggling for information so i can work on this machine. I recently bought a manual on ebay and that was a mistake. It gave me no useful information and it was all in a different language. The motor was rebuilt prior to me getting the machine along with injectors and injection pump. It would consume coolant and run on the hot side but not overheat as long as you payed attention to it and gave it a break after a few hours. It also smoked like crazy. (white/ gray). These symptoms led me to believe it needed a head gasket so i replaced it and adjusted the valves to spec. It no longer uses coolant and doesn't overheat but still smokes. So now i believe injection pump timing is out. I went to pull timing housing to check but you can't remove the housing with the motor still in the machine. So i planned to remove the delivery valve and check the injection pump to the engine that way. Does anyone have a manual with the correct information on this procedure.
I have a 95 book which shows that engine and the spec for timing is 18 degrees before top dead center. It is taking some time to find the page that describes checking timing. What I recall was that you remove the delivery valve and turn the crankshaft coming up on number one cylinder fuel will stop flowing when the balancer shows 18 degrees on the marks. I'll keep looking to confirm that.
PM me your email address and I'll send you photos of the pages that describe the process.