Got a final drive going out on a PC300LC-5 and was quoted about $10k to fix it. I haven't ever rebuilt one and was wondering what kind of job it was. I've got the service manual on it. How are parts availability and how hard of a job is it? I see you've got to have a 50T press and a couple of special tools from Komatsu. That doesn't scare me, what makes it so expensive to rebuild? I'd like to hear from any of the pros that work on these things. Maybe it really is over my head. Thanks
If the drive if just leaking price out the face seals and main bearing assuming nothing else is wrong
Don't know why you would need a 100 ton press? That unit must have thousands of miles on it also. I haven't seen one broke yet. After the fiasco with the Dash 3 finals the Dash 5 units worked forever if you changed the oil when you were supposed to. I have had one or two apart and there isn't anything real special about them. Pushing the big bearing in is a pain but can be done with a smaller press. There was a jig as I recall to set preload on the bearing. There are thrust washers in the planetaries that there are no thickness specifications on. We always just replaced all of them. You will need the book, especially if you haven't done one before. Good Luck!
Not 100T press, just 50T and I thought I got that out of the book. I think that is just for pressing off the planet gears if they needed replacing. Not leaking, this is a major failure as the sprocket is up against the track frame. It's 300 miles away and I only had a minute to look at it as I was busy with something else and didn't think to take a picture of it. I don't see how the whole final drive unit is moved like that without the mounting bolts being the problem. They had a JD tech look at it while he was doing something to one of the JD hoes and he said a shaft must be broke in it, which doesn't make sense to me but like I said I've never been into one before. This machine has a shear on it so it doesn't have to be moved, they just move any material they need sheared over to the machine. It's not a very high priority breakdown, but I'm gonna fix it in the next month or so. Looks like the jig you're talking about to set the preload is one of the special tools from Komatsu from looking at the book.
That sounds real bad. The bearing must be broke bad and maybe even the case to let the sprocket hit the track frame. You will probably be better off finding a used unit somewhere and taking your chances with that. What we experienced way back when was that if there were broken gears it didn't make sense to rebuild. Good Luck!