Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

pc50 cold start

gwhammy ยท 2019-10-27 08:30

Last spring all at once it seemed my pc50 started picking up air in the hydraulics on cold start. Doesn't do it when temps are in the 60's or higher but terrible when cold. I'm running a good quality 15 wt. hydraulic oil and changed it this spring. Has a new hydraulic filter in it this spring which didn't seem to change anything.

Replies9
  1. #1John C.2019-10-27 10:29

    Most excavators use 10 wt in the hydraulic systems. Have you pulled the suction strainer basket out of the tank lately?

  2. #2gwhammy2019-10-27 17:10

    No, what does that entail getting it out? I have changed the filter that is in the hydraulic tank.

  3. #3DoyleX2019-10-27 19:22

    The strainer is in the bottom of the tank. Pull the panel under the tank. Look for the 3-4" dia hose thats your suction. Pull that off after you drain the oil and start working your way up to the strainer. While you have it all apart if the suction hoses are hard pitchem. Get new constant torque clamps. Send off you old oil for sampling. After filling to the correct level. Get all your cylinders so as much of the chrome is showing as you can get. Then put the fill cap on. Now the system will force oil to the pump cutting down on cavitation.

  4. #4John C.2019-10-28 00:11

    Usually with Komatsu, the fill cap is mounted on a plate that bolts to the top of the tank. If you take out the bolts holding that plate and remove the plate, you will see a rod with a spring in it. Remove the spring if it isn't attached and set it somewhere where it won't get lost. Then you can pull up on the rod and the strainer basket will be on the other end.

  5. #5uffex2019-10-28 03:45

    Goo day It may be worth a check of the tank pressure full stroke the cylinders a couple of times and check that there is air pressure pushing the fluid into the pumps, see attached may help. Kind regards Uffex

  6. #6gwhammy2019-11-16 07:13

    Cleaned the strainer and changed oil and filter in return. I don't which one fixed it but it's fine now. I also had another blog on here about the control panel not working. Found a company in North Carolina that would rebuild it for less than half price of a new one. Works fine now. Now if I could just find a cab or trade this machine for one with a cab and heat and air. I hate setting on it in the cold weather.

  7. #7Bls repair2019-11-23 18:26

    When I have to run an open cab machine in the freezing cold ,I use a Carhartt cab .

  8. #8Clguest2019-12-05 08:49

    Gwhammy do find a machine with cab! For years I had open platforms as cabs added $10k to the price. I eventually found that the $10K adds to the productivity, comfort, and greatly extends the months of use. I enjoy the radio occasionally too when there is no one around the work area.

  9. #9gwhammy2019-12-09 18:45

    Looking hard right now, I set out digging tile at 30 degrees and 30 to 40 mph winds last week. Luckily had my back to the wind. Made a poor mans wind break, cling wrap around the frame behind me. I just can't decide whether to stick with the 12,000 size machine or jump up to a 18,000 pound one. Looking at both. Probably should stick at 12,000 I can haul it and the skid loader behind my one ton.