Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 304E install track

DirtyHoe · 2019-10-26 19:44

Hi, I have a 911. Rental Cat 304E threw the track off. What is the procedure to install it? Found the grease zirk, but don't see the bleeder screw. Please advise, Steve

Replies12
  1. #1seville0092019-10-26 19:59

    may have to just unscrew the zerk and force the grease out

  2. #2DirtyHoe2019-10-27 00:46

    That worked. Had to carefully use my tractor loader bucket to push the idler wheel in. How tight should the track be? For now I made it the same slack distance on the bottom as the other side. Steve

  3. #3Nige2019-10-27 04:51

    If it has steel tracks - between 25-35mm of sag measured under the centre track roller as per the illustration below. If it has rubber tracks you need to locate the "Omega" mark (see illustration above) on the inside flat of the track. Position that mark directly below the centre track roller. Track sag should be in the range of 10-15mm, again measured directly below the centre track roller.

  4. #4DirtyHoe2019-10-27 07:35

    Nige, Yes it has the rubber tracks. Thanks for the adjustment tolerance. Out of curiosity what's the idea behind the Omega mark? Is the track not symmetrical all the way around? Also, what would cause a terrible sounding squeal every time the engine is sped up from idle to almost full power. No controls being stroked. It lasts a few seconds every time and goes away. The fan belt seems tight enough, but I can spin the fan by hand with a little effort. Basically it slips without the belt turning. Thanks for the help, Steve

  5. #5Nige2019-10-27 08:19

    Maybe the Omega mark is the "joint" where the track is vulcanized..? Other than that, no idea. From the symptoms as you describe them, the fan belt is slipping. It may look tight but if you can turn the fan by hand and the belt does not move - it isn't.......

  6. #6DirtyHoe2019-10-30 23:40

    I could not find an operator's manual on this machine. Does CAT not make it available online? I know the machine is small, but it seemed underpowered at full throttle. I didn't see any work modes like power on the screen. Did the rental company disable it or are they not a feature on the 304E? Thanks, Steve

  7. #7Nige2019-10-31 00:53

    The manual is available online. Post a Serial Number and I can walk you through the process.

  8. #8Nige2019-10-31 04:49

    Sorry I didn't recall it was a rental. Ask the rental agency to come up with a manual, because the downloaded manual costs about $45. Either that or download it yourself and knock the cost off their invoice........

  9. #9jeepster12024-05-29 21:29

    I have a cat 304.5 and I cannot find the omega marks anywhere. Probably has aftermarket tracks. How important is it to adjust tracks with the omega mark? Looks like cat is the only one who mentions this.

  10. #10Tugger22024-05-29 23:36

    This is a shot in the dark for you on the manual. I have a 303.5 Cat that came from a rental co. I discovered a manual well hidden behind the seat ,rivetted to a light piece of cable. Due diligence on behalf of the rental outfit,good find for me.

  11. #11Nige2024-05-29 23:58

    Believe it or not but it's actually the factory who do that. It was a process started years ago in response to the age-old problem of the O&M Manual growing legs and walking off........

  12. #12BC Placer gold2024-05-30 09:53

    Our 303.5 had the manual attached with the cable…. Recently purchased a low hour 2020 model Godwin water pump, nice molded plastic manual holder bolted to the frame….empty; no cable to keep it there!