Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

people with micro excavators

Carolina start up ยท 2021-03-21 20:50

so this is a question for people who own like the u17 Kubota cat 302 etc I just want to know what is the biggest job yall have done with them

Replies31
  1. #1Willie B2021-03-21 21:19

    I don't own one. Biggest I've seen done with one is planting a shrubbery, "something nice, not too expensive."

  2. #20072021-03-21 21:40

    Your question might be better answered if asked in the Mini excavator thread as the machines you mentioned are at the bottom of that class. I think micro class would normally chat in there as well. If you are more specific with your question will normally provoke more responses. Regards.

  3. #3NepeanGC2021-03-21 21:42

    I had a bobcat E20 for 3 years. Good little machine. Biggest job we ever did with it was a pool dig, bout 100 yards. 1 tiny scoop at a time. Main use we had for it was trenching. Did miles and miles and miles of trenching with it.

  4. #4Willie B2021-03-22 08:05

    In the late eighties I was working a job, a huge Victorian house. They added a garage. The underground line to it was 150 feet, 46" deep. The painter talked the older lady into hiring him to dig the ditch, said he owned a JD 450 crawler with backhoe. We agreed on a time he would dig, a Saturday. I arrived early morning. No sign of him, but a John Deere 20 was sitting there. All attempts to reach him failed. His wife said he went hunting. I knew the owner of the rented excavator, called him to ask permission to use his machine. He said that'd be fine. I dug the ditch, it was after sundown when I was finished. I used a farm tractor with bucket & back blade to place sand & backfill. It took all weekend & into the next work week. Friday we finished a 70' ditch underground service. The excavator (a friend of the owner) is starting out in a small scale excavating business. He had a 3 ton Bobcat & a borrowed compact utility tractor with bucket. He started digging Monday, finished the 46" deep ditch Tuesday. The meter end of the ditch was open, he had sewer & water lines to do. It wasn't ready for us until Friday. Little excavators can do a lot, but it'll be slow!

  5. #5Welder Dave2021-03-24 02:11

    Digging to install or fix weeping tile in tight area's would be a lot better than hand digging and wouldn't damage the lawn/landscape too much. You might think a micro is too slow until you consider how much work hand digging would be.

  6. #6Willie B2021-03-24 07:29

    On a different project, the homeowner put the conduit in the ground. He overshot the power pole, and turned conduit at a 45 degree angle to come out of the ground. I can't imagine what he was thinking, (or drinking)? It had to be dug up, shortened, and turned at 90 degrees to come out of the ground vertical 8" from the pole. Not to mention, It needed to be schedule 80 conduit. Seth argued that we had a borrowed little 23 HP Kubota sub compact tractor with backhoe. It'd be easier to transport to the job site than a big backhoe. Amazingly, it took 6 hours all told. The small bucket, the short reach, it wasn't possible to place the spoils far enough away it didn't fall back into the ditch.

  7. #7Carolina start up2021-03-27 20:51

    fun fact after i posted this i got a few calls for jobs and realized right away no micro-minis went from maybe I could use one to right away knowing it wouldn't be a good choice for the first machine

  8. #8CM19952021-03-27 20:59

    They always beat a shovel..

  9. #9Birken Vogt2021-03-27 21:16

    We use a guy for trenching that has a small fleet of Yanmars strategically placed and picks one up and brings it to your job site behind his F250. They fit through gates and such and can manuver into tight spots. Backfill blade also. He can work around existing customer facilities a lot easier than a chain trencher trying to hook onto everything.

  10. #10Carolina start up2021-03-27 21:21

    not when taking down trees and currently gotta go bid for a clean remodel of a yard with the removal of brush and hauling off everything on about 2 acres of land looks like I might be able to make what I made last year in one month this year

  11. #11CM19952021-03-27 21:23

    Still beats a shovel for what you describe. I'd dig all day on a mini-mini if my other alternative was a shovel to take a tree down.

  12. #12Carolina start up2021-03-27 21:52

    at this point I want a kx057 or a kx040 or a 308 hopefully this year I can add one just gotta pay off the equipment I got now

  13. #13Steve Frazier2021-03-28 00:13

    Cat 304e, biggest job was a 400 foot water line install. I've dug out stumps that weigh as much of the machine. Didn't set any speed records but it's what I had available. Sure beat a shovel!!

  14. #14suladas2021-03-28 00:32

    Rented a Takeuchi TB108 last summer, looks like a toy but still way faster then a shovel. Dug out about a tandem load of dirt into wheelbarrows in a few hours. Ground was hard enough the tooth bucket could barely dig it, glad I wasn't using a shovel! The 1.7-2.0 ton size really impress me. Rented a few times for foundation repairs and sewer repairs, dug down 7-8' with them and they can move some dirt in decent time for how small they are.

  15. #15skyking12021-03-28 00:48

    The plumbing contractor I work for has done several hand digs that could have been done with a micro. I was not working for them at the time. I've dug inside many buildings but the smallest machine was about a 25 rental. The folding roll bar on the newer ones will be the ticket, IMO.

  16. #16AzIron2021-03-28 19:56

    It would shock people what we have done with our 17g not the least of witch was a 12 foot deep sump pit because that was the machine that would fit in the building and as stated it beats a shovel I rented a bobcat 10 a couple times the only thing that is useful about is it fits thru a door and is faster than a shovel in TI work there good I wouldn't own anything smaller than a 17 tho that is a handy size and its limitations are your imagination I recently added a 35 to the fleet the 17 spend a lot more time parked but it's still more versatile than 35

  17. #17suladas2021-03-29 00:16

    Dahm those are some ambitious plumbers! I've been digging for plumbers with my 6 ton digging 2' wide trenches in a building cause they are too lazy to dig a trench by hand, many of which are only 2" pipes 8"-10" deep. By the time it's done probably 6 tandem slinger loads of sand to backfill all the trenches.

  18. #18skyking12021-03-29 01:34

    These hand digs were inside completed buildings, down hallways, in basements. No way to get even a 2 ton machine in. I am hoping to get a 1 ton on rent to purchase, next time one comes up.

  19. #19Willie B2021-03-29 07:25

    So many specialized machines! I'd love to own them ALL! I want an electric 2 ton machine for inside buildings, a 6 ton for medium sized jobs. I'd sure love to have a 20 ton, but then I'd have to hire a mover to transport it. Then, I'd need two sizes of little & bigger track loaders, a big pay loader, and at least 1 Morooka tracked dump truck. I'll also need a bigger dump truck. Instead, I own a standard sized backhoe. It has its limitations, but is about as versatile a single machine as I can think of. I can trailer it, but short runs (3 miles typically) I drive it, faster than loading it.

  20. #20AzIron2021-03-29 09:05

    I cant make a 1 ton pencil out to own it cost 200 a day to rent I use one about 4 days a year mainly cause we know how to make the 17 fit into places

  21. #21Carolina start up2021-03-29 18:08

    at this point, I just need something because I went and looked at one job that required a dump truck also but I just want something that can fit in fenced-in yards and won't scare homeowners and maybe a 550 dump truck

  22. #22Willie B2021-03-29 20:42

    I'll give you that! Homeowners want little! They don't have knowledge of excavators, and think a big machine is somehow scary! They have often rejected me, because my 16000 LB backhoe will tear up their yard. Somehow, they believe a 4000 LB excavator with 12" bucket can dig a sterile ditch 46" deep with no lawn damage. I believe you are correct, customer perception is a little excavator is less scary.

  23. #23Willie B2021-03-29 21:02

    Homeowners with pristine lawns have a phobia of any machine on their grass. I've many times been questioned. "Wouldn't a six inch deep 2" wide trench be enough?" I go into my explanations of why deeper electrical conduits last forever. Mostly, I never hear from that customer, until the other guy installs conduit 6" deep in a 2" wide trench, and it fails in the middle of winter. Christmas time I got a call on my answering machine Friday evening. A subcontractor for Comcast had ripped up a 50 year old feeder to a mobile home. Dark of night, I made temporary repairs. I told the property owner "It is ESSENTIAL that you replace this feeder this coming week before the ground freezes any deeper! I was ignored. Two weeks later: I still don't understand why another subcontractor for comcast was there again. You guessed it! They too plowed up the same feeder! This 150' long cable ended up with 8 patches in it 5 of them under the driveway! Maybe I'm obtuse, A conduit buried as deep as code requires, deeper in cold climates will NEVER fail. Why torture yourself, and your electrician burying it 6" deep?

  24. #24Carolina start up2021-03-30 18:56

    well I got a job this week no machines allowed expect lawn mower and chain saw to clear about a 500 yard area and its gonna be a pain

  25. #25BCG2021-04-02 07:08

    I rented one of the Kubota Micros to trench for an electrical line and to dig a little trash dump on my property. It did the job but, it was slow and struggled in the dry soil. The first machine I bought was a Deere 17D mini-ex (4,000 pound machine), it was much stronger and could still fit through a 4' opening if I sucked in the tracks and folded the blade. Now, I really wish I'd bought a Deere 50 (10,000 pound machine) instead and I'll probably be upgrading it to something in that size range. There are times when a smaller machine is needed but, I don't think there's anything I'm doing with the 17 that I couldn't do with the 50.

  26. #26AzIron2021-04-02 08:01

    And that there is the struggle of being small one machine has to fit a lot of needs I bought a 35 so we would stop abusing our 17 and could still fit in places a 50 wont go and have been very happy with that

  27. #27Don.S2021-04-02 13:40

    If i could build a fleet of small machines it would be a 17 a 35 and a 80. I find those three have the best jump between the sizes.

  28. #2890plow2021-04-04 08:14

    Bought a micro fleet last month. I had about a months worth of work for myself and want to start renting them out to other contractors. These two are so effective together.

  29. #2990plow2021-04-04 08:16
  30. #30AzIron2021-04-04 10:31

    What did the buggy cost

  31. #31Carolina start up2021-04-04 19:06

    well the clearing job was done with a chain saw a mower and a lot of cussing and well some very questionable tactics that made me happy to be insured