I know a fellow here that got a new D8T this fall and he's not happy with it, he claims that it is much weaker than his old D8R but CAT won't do anything about it, they say it's performing ok. He says it drops the rpm to about 1500 and drags it's ass with the same pushload the R hardly dropped the rpm's and just kept on trucking. Anyone that have run them both that can share their experience?
Hey Per. I am not the man with most times on any of them but i have driven both types for a few hours. D8R was working really good with lots of power anytime D8T was also great i experienced when i was pushing some roots a few knights. When det dozer was going downhill with a full push it dropped the rpm to about 1350. But when the resistance increased so did the rpm to about 1900 And it push like a h**** dog and that sound was awesome. Funny how ours pass when you are having a good time So in my book the D8T was much better than the older model. Maybe the electronics is wrong on the model your friend have:beatsme
If it was new when he got it, then it more than likely still has a warranty. Have Cat look at it. If they say there is nothing wrong with it, chances are that 95% of the time there is nothing wrong with it. These machines are more complicated than older models. With all of the new settings that one can enter into the machines computer, the days of just opening the throttle and grabbing a gear are long gone. The most important thing that anyone who operates or tries to operate a T or any new machine should do is grab the operating and service manual from behind the seat and read it...all of it....front to back. Only then will you how everything works, where everything is located and how to set the machine up to get the most productivity out of it. If there is no operating information with the machine, get them. They all come with operating manuals. Either buy them if you are the owner or have the equipment super or Foreman get a copy to put back in the machine. I cant stress this enough.... Insist on it... If not, chances are you'll just waste someones money and fuel by not getting 100% out of these computerized machines. For those who think they already know it all, don't like to read or feel they don't need to beacuse....they already know it all. Please....dont feel bad when someone (like me) who took the time to read the manuals comes by and easily makes you look like a newbie. Gallon for gallon, these new machines will out perform and out produce older machines of a similar weight class. The major difference in the operation of these machines vs older machines is the operator. Anyone can jump up on a rig and move dirt, but not everyone can make money doing it. Today, it takes a little more common sense and a lot more intelligence to be a productive, efficient and sucessful operator.
Tell him I've got a late 8K with a real motor I'll trade straight up I've got that C15 in our 623 it does'nt have quite the grunt the 3406 did. I think it's a tier 3 illness
I didn't run them side by side so its hard to say, but it didn't feel less powerful to me.
Can't say on the 8R vs 8T. 8R is a huge improvement over 8N for sure. The 9R that I operated last fall was superior to the newer 9T that outfit had. More power to the ground dispite the fact that it had the U-dozer and the other the S-type. I liked the 9R over the 9T easily. I don't know that Cat has the bugs worked out of the newer engine setup in the 9T.
I have both, and first off, ROP is right on target. READ THE BOOK. There may be some set up issues, or, the 8R may have been turned up some. On the older engines, it was easy to bump the HP a little. Hot rod tractors cost much more per hour to own and operate, so not a good idea in my book. Cat spends lots of $$ to figure out the optimum HP for each machine. My 8R has been rebuilt by Cat dealer as near to factory spec as can be. The 8T, while different, has every bit as much power as the 8R, it just puts it down a little different. RPM is different to make the same power on the new emissions engines. Anyone who drive truck can attest to that. If you are climbing a hill, in the older rig, you downshift much sooner, but if you shift down too soon in the newer rig, it falls on its face. Lug it down, and it just keeps on going. The 8T is much the same. When I put the first hours on the 8T, once I got used to it, I found it is every bit the tractor the 8R was, and don't even put an 8N in the same league.
The emissions regs are changing the way machines operate. The stall speeds from a D6R to a T are different, some operators complain of less power when in fact it is making the correct HP. You can bet if you have a mechanical fuel system tractor it's putting out more than spec HP.
If not :beatsme you can sure make it turn out more horsepower:drinkup:usa