Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Perkins 1004.4

chansey ยท 2014-10-25 10:44

Need some assistance Have a 1989 JCB 1700b backhoe with the Perkins Phaser engine 1004.4 AH build. Need to find a replacement head. Mine is cracked and is not repairable. Any leads will be appreciated Paul

Replies5
  1. #1stock2014-10-26 06:10

    Shoot that engine was used by Cat and they subsequently bought the company. They were also used by ** and a lot of other companies for generators pumps etc.........

  2. #2chansey2014-10-26 22:17

    Forget what I posted earlier Here is the proper info Loader Tag reads 17BT2087/326513/7 LJ1414788 Engine number stamped above injection pump LJ50223U141478P I have searched all over for the proper head. Different sources on the net say it is a 1004.4T and others indicate it is a 4T.236. Are these the same part ? When I do a search, most sites do not ref the "T" portion in their listings although they state it is a turbo. What gives ??? Prices are all over the place from $211.00 to over $2,500.00. I only want to do this once and replace with the correct part. Paul

  3. #3tctractors2014-11-08 15:57

    chansey, the U.K. has heaps of the 1004 heads for low coins, the engine was fitted into CAT, KOMATSU and near everything else in the power class, the JCB 1700B is not known on our rock, its some U.S. spec' thing but the engine is an easy item to sort, if its had water issues check the bottom of the cylinder bores for score marks? if you are still in a jamb to find this item I could post a few phone No's etc but its U.K. supply. tctractors

  4. #4chansey2014-11-08 22:48

    Thanks for the desire to assist. I bought a head sight unseen and when it arrived, it did have all new valves and seats. The engine apparently had water sitting in it as there was corrosion inside the fire ring area. Did not feel comfortable installing it as is, so I took it to have it surface and double check the valve work. I am going to need the machine all winter and I surely don't want to do the work all over again for a few $$$$ up front. Paul

  5. #5chansey2015-01-06 11:34

    I took the head into the machine shop and had the head checked out. All was good and they did a light re-surfacing and cleaned up very well.\ It's installed now and will be firing the the loader back up soon ---just very cold outside. Paul