Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Perkins 3024; CAT warranty?

Gdaddy ยท 2014-01-22 07:41

All, I have a CAT 226b2 with a Perkins 3024 engine with 1500 hrs. When the machine warms up the low oil pressure light goes on. Ran a pressure check and showed 7 PSI at idle. I have read many post on here about this engine from CAT and there is a definite design flaw. Does anyone know if CAT will fix these at their cost? Have not contacted dealer yet, hoping to get some advice prior to that from anyone who has dealt with this issue with them first. Thanks, G

Replies1
  1. #1Per Eriksson2014-01-22 15:34

    Take a look at the front timing gear cover for any discoloration, very common to have the oilpump grind the hell out of it's bore in the cover burning the yellow paint. There was a letter about this but I'm afraid you are too late on that, it ended July -12. It called for a new engine when this happened.