Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Perkins 3024C Cranks, Puffs Black Smoke, Wont Fire at all

erphillips ยท 2012-12-22 21:30

I have a Cat 257B with a 3024C Perkins that won't start. Puffs black smoke while cranking, Wont even try and fire even with either. It was running fine when it was shut off for the weekend and on Monday it wouldn't start, Cat Mechanic came out and checked it out and thought the head gasket was blown as there is black smoke puffing out of the valve cover oil filler hole while cranking. We replaced the head gasket today, not any sign of a head gasket leak, rocker arms are fine, no bent push rods, all valves seem to be in great shape and move freely. Still same thing cranks over fine but wont even try and start. I'm thinking timing possibly not sure if it has a chain or gear drive. any ideas? Engine has 2700 Hours maintained by the book with oil changes and filter changes never run really hard just used for landscape work most of the time. I haven't been able to check the compression but figure that's the next step just have to find a gauge that will work, I assume you pull an injector to test compression with a gauge. Of course I am down to the last 3 payments, Cat Mechanic says replace the engine for over 10k Thanks Ed

Replies5
  1. #1Dinger492012-12-27 18:21

    I had a similar problem years ago with a small Gehl 3825. The auxilary hydraulics were stuck on and although the engine cranked, it would not spin at enough rpm to start.

  2. #2erphillips2012-12-27 20:50

    Turned out to be Stuck Rings on 3 Cylinders, Rebuilt the engine with new pistons, Rod Bearings, Head Gasket, Etc. took about 6 hours to pull engine tear it down and rebuild and reinstall Back to work tomorrow making money. Cost about $1200.00 for all parts required. A lot better than Cats estimate of over 12k For a new engine and labor to R&R

  3. #3NCPIPELINE2012-12-28 06:23

    Nice, could always have been worse, sounded at first like a problem I had with a glow plug tip breaking off and almost boring a hole through piston.

  4. #4mitch5042012-12-28 15:07

    Geez, you have any idea what would make 3 sets of rings stick over one weekend? Did it run hot? Did the oil level get real low? If this engine has piston cooling nozzles, were they all in place and working? I would badly want to find out what caused this, so I didn't have to go through it all over again. Good luck

  5. #5Dinger492012-12-30 06:06

    Glad you sorted the problem. I agree with Mitch, I would want to know why 3 sets of rings siezed. Did you do a compression test to find the problem? How did the injector tips look? Does the engine normally run warm or cold during normal operation?