Background/specs: - Been sitting idle for ten years w/fuel additive, emptied all old diesel - looked surprisingly good even if additive was effectively inert after first couple years. - New fuel pump, new filter, new thermostarter. - '87 JCB 1400B w/ Perkins CAV 3241F490 fuel injection pump (OEM: 17/400400) Does anyone have any tips to get injector pump to send fuel to injectors besides: thoroughly bleeding all relevant unions as directed - manually for thermostarter, filter, and bleeders & while cranking engine for injector unions. adding ATF to tank to unstick pump/meter parts. gentle knocking outside on pump body to release mildly stuck valve. while cranking engine, move the shut-off lever on the pump rapidly back and forth. towing it a bit to create enough pressure to unstick pump (strange). Also, can I spray some lube or other liquid in little side cover opening next to bleeder screws and/or pour a bit of ATF or combo of ATF/diesel through fuel line union on top-back of pump fed from filter? Obviously, pump had moisture after so long being idle as a bit of rust color came out lower high pressure bleeder port. I also realize new/rebuilt pump will prolly be in order but you never know. 1% chance before dishing out a grand is just that, a chance. Finally, I hooked up two batteries in parallel and used starter to raise all hydraulics & chain 'em up. Hoe is parked in weird spot though in buddies yard next to his fairly narrow (in parts) driveway. Has to be moved out of there by 25th. I'm hoping to get it professionally winched about 50' to driveway and then winched on trailer. I don't see how controlling the front tires while winching up on trailer works as the steering is hydraulic. Making calls tomorrow. Thanks for any advice.
Theres nothing that will un-stick the pumping plungers except a hammer & punch.. The pump has to come off & be torn down.. sorry.. I can do the rebuild for ya.. but u have to get it off 1st..
Thanks pumpguy, I thought so. I've shade-tree'd everything external on gas engines for a long time but the pump rebuild does look a bit challenging. I need to get this thing over to my place first thing by June 26th as my buddy is moving. I may need to keep the pump connected until then to adjust hydraulics height of front bucket or whatever when/if they start winching onto flatbed. I'm still trying to figure out the cheapest way to get it towed. No trailer but all buckets/stabilizers are up and just a front wheel slight rim leak I'm working on. How much would it be to rebuild one of these?
Gotta take it to a privy convo
DO NOT REMOVE THE PUMP UNTIL ITS IN ITS RESTING SPOT.!!
I know. I have the relevant OEM JCB Service & Workshop manuals my buddy paid a mint for when he first got it. I know the potential nightmare not keeping timing/idler gear married while backing pump out.
curious to know what the end result was on this... i have a CAT 205 excavator and am having the same issue. I had the thing running about a month ago and now it's yard decor. I have plenty of clean fuel to the injector pump and exactly nothing coming out the other side. i did everything on your list of possible fixes and still no fuel to the injectors. i probably do not have the mechanical skill to reinstall the injector pump and re-time the engine. any help would be great
Unless it sucked in water, or you added really bad fuel a month ago, it's not likely "stuck" in one month. Is the injection pump turning? is it sucking down the fuel in the intake? is the solenoid clicking? or is it a cable pull shut off?
@ delmer not sure how to tell if the injection pump is turning or not. far as taking fuel I'm going to say no. solenoid is newish and i believe it funtions just fine. with it out of the pump the magnet on the end moves in and out when energized. to clarify i can remove an injector line completely and no fuel comes out from the pump
Fuel going into pump and nothing out.. it’s the pump.. If u can take a pic or post the pump #’s.. I can probably walk u thru removal.. U got any buddies that have tool’s that’ll give you a hand.?
@ pump guy, if you've got advice I'm all ears. far as friends and tools go I have enough to get through most jobs, unless there's something I'm not aware of. here's a few pics of the unit. there is a plate on the bottom I didn't know was there untill i looked at the pics. If you need those numbers I can try to get a better angle. thanks
Google.. “DPA pump removal instructions” There is a pretty good video by JacobsFarm. he’s taking off a pump from a ford 5000, but it’s the same procedure for you.. Take some time and watch it & familiarize yourself with it.. & decide if you want to tackle it or not..
If u have any questions, u can get me faster using email.. My screen name at aoldotcom. I’ll b busy for the next 3-4 days but I’ll find time to check emails..
When looking thru the pump removal videos, there r several tear down and 1/2 azz rebuild vids.. I must warn you, if u “try them” and end up with a pile of garbage.. Well u know the saying about the curiosity and the cat..
roger that. who would you recommend i send it our to for the rebuild? i watched the video on the old ford tractor, not going to be that easier reaching down into the engine compartment on the excavator but it looks pretty straight forward. did not know about the timing marks on the side of the there gear bolts.
Send it to @thepumpguysc . He rebuilds these things for a living and geographically isn't a million miles away from you.
I rebuild them “daily”.. Finished 2 today.. U can send it to me.. All ya need is my address and a stack of coins.. lol
Inside the end plate is a relatively low pressure/higher volume vane pump, if you remove the fuel inlet line and fill it with fuel, then crank, that fuel level should go down. That will tell you the pump is turning. or watch some of those youtube cav pump experts and take the end plate off, and see the pump turning. The top cover can come off, and make sure everything moves smooth under there, as long as you get the springs back in the same holes. Any more than that and you're at high risk of messing up the pump, and pissing off TPG.
Lol.. ain’t that the truth.!!
Duffle bgs of unmarked nickles?
A bad check will do. Joe H